1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08 F450 4x4 King Ranch ~pros, cons?

Discussion in 'General' started by rwood64083, Sep 27, 2014.

1. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

I put close to 400 miles on my first tank of fuel. Still had a 1/4 tank left. I'll check owners manual and find out tank size.

:beer:

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Going off memory, I think I usually get around 30 gallons on the Chevy and the Ford would get 35 ish? But the Chevy gets better gas mileage and the allison trans works sooooooo much better when towing.

3. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

34 gallons in the long bed, 26 in the short.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yes, all duallies have long beds.

5. rwood64083

Nope, not exactly correct. I remember when they started putting short beds on dually trucks. Ford was the first one I saw. Thought it was the dumbest thing ever. I've seen them in Dodge and Chevy also but there are a lot less Chevy's out there with that option.

I did entertain the thought of looking at a 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 with a short bed and Mega cab. Couldn't bring myself to bother driving to the dealership to look it over. They also made some Ram 3500's in long bed with Mega cab but not too many people have them. I wouldn't care about the length, I'd drive it.

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I saw a Ford dually shortbed once but never knew Chevy made one.

7. rwood64083

Yeah, they're kinda fugly.

[​IMG]

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Hell….I guess you do learn something almost every day:D

That is fugly

9. rwood64083

Could be worse I suppose :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I just bought a 6.0. If you know what to looknfor going in,they're great trucks. You can get a great deal because so many people have heard bad things.

Get rid of the EGR cooler.
    Get rid of the gold coolant with silicates
    Profit.

You don't need anything else done unless the oil cooler is junked from a previous owner. All of the problems with the 6.0 came from the egr cooler which then plugged the oil cooler. Address those and you're golden.

11. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

Make sure the batteries don't get low on juice, that shortens the life of the FICM.

Watch the oil temp and coolant temp, a delta of no more than 15 degrees (during normal driving, highway speeds) should mean healthy oil cooler.

Head and head gasket problems usually either come with EGR problems, or are from tuners and lots of boost.

I'm not going to claim them to be the best diesel motor ever, but they can be great if you watch a few things.