1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08 F450 4x4 King Ranch ~pros, cons?

Discussion in 'General' started by rwood64083, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

You mean like this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My 06 6.0 had a egr cooler go, cracked head, blown head gaskets, fried FICM. Half the dash lights burned out in the display. I could go on.

I'd fuck a girl with herpes before buying another 6.0

Get a dodge with a cummins if you don't want to fix shit.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well that sums it up pretty well. Did dodge fix the transmission issues?

4. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Damn :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Well that kinda tells me what I need to know :up:

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

My 7.3 is freakin' awesome. As a Chevy guy, I love my F350.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What transmission issue?

Mine has better than 320k on it. Original fluid.

Original clutch too. ;)

7. Boman Forklift

The automatic transmission issue. IF you have a Dodge, I'm sure you know about that, which is probably why you have a stick.

8. rwood64083

I like the Dodge mainly for the Cummins but in all the research, found the auto trans to be the biggest turn off. Only Ram 3500's I test drove had the 6spd manual trans.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nah, I have a stick because I hate slushboxes. Had the 5sp in my 1500 (could only get it behind the 5.2 :down:) then got my first diesel in '01 with the HO and 6sp.

AFAIK the trannies got beefed ups starting in '03 with the common rail diesels, much fewer problems than with the reworked TorqueFlites they were putting behind the rattlers.

Still wouldn't run a slusher if I could avoid it. :up:

BTW, you guys in Commiefornia didn't have the option for the HO w/ 6sp until the Feds made all the diesels comply with CARB. You could get the standard output motor with a 5sp though.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I forgot to add blown turbo at 52K miles.

I won't ever sell my 7.3 service truck. We just replaced the rusty body panels last month.

11. rwood64083

After doing a lot of digging, research (partly thanks to everyone's input here), and test driving trucks I pulled the trigger and picked up a 2006 Chevy last week. Truck is in pretty good shape and looks like it's spent a lot of it's life parked in a garage when not in use. When I picked it up Thursday morning I drove home, packed a bag and headed straight for southern Missouri. Put around 900 miles on it last weekend. 6.6 Duramax, 6 speed Allison, 3.73 gears... I put the cruise on 70 during the trip out and got 18.25 mpg. Return trip I put the cruise on 65 and got close to 18.75 mpg. I'm sure loaded down the mileage will probably average about what the rest of you guys get with exception to Chris Broome.

Couple minor things will need attention but so far so good. Everything seems to work well. 4wd, power seating, seat heaters, etc etc etc.
    Susan's real happy with the power sunroof as she has had one in pretty much all her other vehicles. I was doing vehicle checks the other day and found her in the back seat watching Looney Tunes on the DVD player in the overhead console.

First things first... straight pipe it, put a leveling kit in the front end and put some rims on it :cool:

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Is that with the LBZ engine?

Good looking truck.

13. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Nice truck Randy!

14. rwood64083

Yes, LBZ.

15. rwood64083

Thanks.

Good driving truck. I'm sure anything new drives pretty good. But of the Ford, Dodge and Chevy's I drove of mid to late 2000's the Chevy was the nicest ride. Very comfortable :up:

16. Boman Forklift

I have the older 2002 duramax, which isn't as good...injector issues. However it drives much nicer and tows much nicer than the diesel Ford I had.

17. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

My issue with the Chevy when I used one was the tiny fuel tank. I love the insides.

18. rwood64083

Why you gotta make fun of my tiny fuel tank?
    :moon:

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Doesn't that truck have a 34 gallon tank?

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Congrats man, looks awesome. I'm sure it will perform well for you.