1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

07 V-Strom buy

Discussion in 'General' started by 70yamahaR5, Sep 9, 2014.

1. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

Going to check out an 07 V-Strom tomorrow on our way to east TN (you know, God's country).

If everything checks out as advertised, we will bring it home.

Anything I should watch out for?

2. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Yes, make sure it isn't the 1000cc version. Other than that they are most likely the most reliable bikes ever built.

3. 70yamahaR5

So you like the 650 instead, why is that?

4. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

I had a 1000 a few years ago and didn't have any problems. Just picked up a 2002 1000 a couple weeks ago, and i'm not expecting any problems out of it either. :beer:

5. 70yamahaR5

Thanks, good to know.

Not seeing much bad on the web with the possible exception of the bulbous front fairing looking like an after thought, which it does. Doesn't bother me, though.

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Where in E TN?

I know someone who is selling his.

7. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

I have ridden both and prefer the 650 over the 1000 due to the weight.
    Yes, the 1000 had more motor, but for all practical purposes, the WeeStrom 650 will get the job done and be easier to handle in the rougher conditions.
    They both have bullet proof motors.
    I would get the suspension done on the 650 though as it is pretty weak....
    cartridge kit up front and a Penske double for the rear and head off into the sunset......

8. bajakirch

bajakirch ^Not what you think

I've been strongly leaning towards a Strom as my next bike.

I've also heard that the 650 is superior to the 1000, though both are very good bikes.

9. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

I'd also concentrate on the 04-06 years of the 650.

04-06 had single plug heads. I believe in 07 they went with the dual plug heads.

I know on my SV650 street bike, the 04-06 years with the single plug heads are easier to get more power out of.....

10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Had/owned both for several thousands of miles. Nothing wrong with either one. One might do one thing better than the other but neither one was a bad bike. 1000 definetely better two up, 650 little better off road but both suffer from cheap suspension so that evens things up there as well. Early 1000s suffer from a bit of FI on off glitches. By 06 they had that worked out. The 650 has pretty much been rock solid engine wise since day one.

Can't go wrong with either one. Gas and go!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

12. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

If it's a 1000 ask about the "clutch chudder".

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  13. roy826ex

Clutch Chudder on the 1000 is about as normal at the idle hammer sound they make. I had the clutch basket replaced on my 1000 with upgraded basket and the Chudder came back. I just drove the thing into a minivan eventually. :mad:

14. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

Before buying an 02 1000 I didn't do much research. It was a great deal, so I jumped on it. After my first ride on it I was positive the engine was going to blow, but I quickly learned that the incredibly loud valves and vibration at 3000 rpm was all normal. I put roughly 8000 trouble free miles on it. They are great bikes.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Spent an hour on a DL1000 (don't remember what year) and hated it- snatchy injection, bad buffeting, really didn't like much of anything about it. Few years later I hear how the 650 is much more loved, so I try one. Bought an '08 650 with ABS and loved it- enjoyed it for a couple years them moved on. I could see myself buying another. The 650 also has buffeting issues- a Madstad bracket with a 748/916 shield (I had laying around) fixed that.

16. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

^^^^^ spot on, I bought the 1000 first abd sold it to get a 650. The above mentioned items and gas mileage were the differences that sealed the deal for me.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Only bike I've ever been on without buffeting was an older Wing with a HUGE windshield :D

18. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

I always get the buffet.

:D

19. roy826ex

Or no windshield :D

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno about that, I still get buffeted even on the hyper, it's just more from vehicles around me :D