1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best/Worst Christmas presents

Discussion in 'General' started by blueduc37, Dec 19, 2003.

1. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

I ain't crackin on Grandma, just those damn Footy socks.

2. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

Yep, Granny gifts rule. Always $$$.:cool:

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Ya know, I hate to be petty, but a nickel just doesn't go as far as they seem to remember.

4. Laurie Acree

:D Yeah you're right. My Granny used to send a quarter in my Birthday cards and write, "here's some Pepsi money." Priceless.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I only knew my one Grand ma (The K's and H's all got wiped out doing moronic things :D ) and she used to give me the most wacko things.
    How many Kilts, subscriptions to NG and pairs of Leiderhosen do you need?

Man, I wish that (what I thought at the time) crazy old coot was around today. :)

Dude, I'll take your footie socks. :D ;)

6. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Best: My parents came up and I was ATTEMPTING to build myself a work bench... I suck at most projects wooden. I ended up getting a sore back from trying to build this thing... The EXACT reason why I was building one in the first place: I'm 6'5" and wanted a Huey heighted work surface.
    So a few months later Christmas comes... My Pop gives me a empty bench vise box... "Uhhhh... OK". He takes me out in the garge where there sits an AWESOME work bench that's perfectly high for me, a benchvice, shelves underneath.. KICK ASS!

Here's why this makes it all the more special.. Didn't cost him a dime.. Built it out of scrap he had... I'd take this over anything store bought!!!!!!!!!!

7. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

And that rugby shirt was the worst? :D Admit it, Huey...dare y'all. :D

Best: My first bicycle, Schwinn...banana seat, sissy bar, ape hangers. I begged and begged for it, come Christmas morning... I get up and run to the tree expecting/hoping to see it....no bike. I didn't say anything but I'm pretty easy to read the emotions dept. Parents said I couldn't open any gifts until I had fed my calf. I was one pissed off little dude going out to that barn until I opened the door.

Worst: No such thing.

David

8. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

Best: A Honda NR miniature motorcycle (you know, the WalMart ones) that my youngest daughter picked out and gave to me a couple of years ago. She was so proud of that. :)

Worst: I don't really have time to recall the worst, but one year my ex- g/f gave me used CD's as a gift. It wasn't necessarily the "worst" but I was kind of shocked. I had never received used gifts before. To me, that's something you buy for yourself.

9. amaner

amaner will do math for food

Best: Chicken Hawk warmers from my better half

Worst: A godawful, day-glo & brown turtle neck from my grandmother. Hated it with a passion, but it made her happy when I wore it every Xmas.

10. Laurie Acree

:clap: Cool post.

My brother's first bicycle was the same as you described, it was green with that glitter on the seat. I always liked to ride on the bar up front with him on that bike.

11. stevegross

stevegross Legion of Zoom

Best: High Speed pinball machine from my wife. The pinball machine we played on our first date. I don't mean that we played High Speed on our first date and then she got another one, I mean she got me the very machine we played on our first date. It was a complete surprise.

Worst: orange corduroys from my grandmother when I was 8.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I got a pair last Christmas. :D

13. Laurie Acree

Now that is cool!

14. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

"My birthday's near Christmas (and it sucks)
    Combination present, twenty bucks." - Munkafust

My sister's birthday was yesterday (December 18). We're one of those dysfunctional kinds of families where some of the siblings keep score. :) My mother and my sister don't really like each other, and I'm always hearing them complaining about each other. The most blatant thing my mother did to torque my sister off was to give her a lampshade for her birthday and then she gave her the lamp to go with it for Christmas!
    That was about 15 years ago and I still hear about it! :D

Last edited: Dec 19, 2003
  15. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

Damn, now that's cold.

16. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

Best Christmas present ever... Superseer goggles, Kawasaki belt buckle, and an original Kawasaki shop manual for the A-1, A-7. My social worker gave them to me for the Christmas holiday when he found out that I would be the only one left in my cottage with nowhere to go. Scared the hell out of Sister Maureen when I answered the door with those goggles on! She caught me trying to start an engine I had put together. Didn't understand why I was trying to start it inside the cottage and where I got the gasoline from.

Worst present... a down vest from my parents. They hadn't given me a Christmas gift since I was 7 years old. 16 years later, they give me the vest as a Christmas gift. It currently sits in my closet. After 17 years of toting it around I have not quite figured out what to do with it.

17. eurobiketrash

eurobiketrash Well-Known Member

Best--- a 1966 Austin Healey 3000
    :D

Worst--- a Chia Pet Head :confused:

18. john buchanan

john buchanan Active Member

BEST:grandson Taylor 12-17-99
    My daugther told me merry christmas dad,I,M HAVING TWINS IN JUNE!yesterday.

WORST: underwear from my wife (ex) two sizes to large??????

19. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Naw, it's Karma.
    This same sister is the one who gives strange gifts. And she doesn't always give them. I've got this lamp made from a wine bottle and a used recliner (that came with duct tape on the tear in the cushion) that she told me that she was loaning, not giving to me. One year when I had somebody recovering from a divorce living at my place, she gave me some Dr. Suess books for Christmas. I kind of gave this "WTF am I going to do with these?" look, and she said I could read them to my roommate's kid when he stayed over. (Huh?)

The BEST one I've gotten in recent memory came from my older (good) sister and her husband. He asked me for some Rest Home stickers one summer and I sent them along. Around December, they told me they were still working on my present and that it would be late. By then, I had just about forgotten about the stickers that I had sent them.
    It wasn't until the following July that I finally got a package from California in the mail. Inside were five golf shirts with a faithful rendition of the "Butler's Rest Home" sticker embroidered on them.
    There was a note from my brother-in-law attached which explained that he had sent back the previous four orders to the shirt company before he felt that they had done the job right.
    It was a gift idea totally unexpected by me and the fact that they went to such great lengths to have them done right blew me away. :)