1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiking the Appalachian Trail

Discussion in 'General' started by Hendo, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Hendo

Hendo V Card Puncher

I will be hiking in Keen's, light weight, durable, waterproof and comfy. All around kick ass boots.

2. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Hendo, Thank you for your service. Sent your BBS visitor page contact info, your PM is not listing an address.

Please call on me for anything required, I am in Afton VA.

3. Hendo

Hendo V Card Puncher

Thank you Bee, look forward to meeting you!!

4. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Good luck with the walk, sounds amazing to be walking in the hills for that long. Out of interest how long do boots last, and what's the est weight of the pack?

5. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

..and trekking poles. The Center at Neels Gap sell the hell out of them. Agree, because by the time hikers arrive there..and besides the realization of the feat that lies ahead of them.. Most will know if their going to have knee and ankle issues. Many do. I've backpacked 7+k miles and absolutely couldn't not have done it without the poles. They also mail back sh!t that was needlessly brought along(I've seen big thick books, binoculars, white gas in 3 33os bottles, etc). I've even mailed some crap back for a thru hiker once.

An experienced hiker can get their pack down to 10-15lbs(before food/water but everything else including fuel) and still be fine and comfy. But it costs.. Light, Cheap, Functional. But you can only pick 2.

Remember the pack will be heavier in the cold months(more bag, more clothing, more fuel, etc).

The colder months are measurably shorter, so many hike into the night. As well as before the sun rises.

As much as I detest the shelters, if your thru hiking..use them. Nothing is faster. No wet dew covered heavy arse tent to pack up/waste time with, and and then carry all day. In the meantime, only carry a super light sil-nylon shelter of some sort. That and a good high end down bag(my Western Mtneering 32* Highlite bag weighs just 16oz total w stuff sack) + a light weight pack(for me right now its the Granite Gear Crown 60 at a true 2lb 2oz) all make for a light "Big 3"(shelter, pack, bag). If one can get below 10lb total(which is easy), their well on their way to having a super light load.

Enjoy the hike. I live next to the trail here in NC, and somewhat recently did the first 220 miles of it going north via 1 week long solo hikes. You meet a very VERY wide spectrum of people while hiking along amongst the thru-hiker glut. After a few weeks and one toughens up and learns how to pack, they'll lay down 25 mile days with ease.

May used to be the traditional start month. But now because many try to beat the glut, I'm seeing'm coming thru..well..now. Early Jan. is very typical to be seeing thru hikers coming thru the NOC.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

There has to be a number of you close to the trail.
    Maybe some of you could meet up along the way and walk for a day, and bring some treats.

7. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I have and can do this. I sometimes see thru hikers at the nearby gaps(some are dry. meaning no water nearby) as I drive thru. If I have a soft drink, beer, candy, water(especially), whatever..then I'll usually stop and offer. They are always stoked. I know I would have been:up:.

8. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

A good friend of mine through hiked the whole AT solo a few years back. He still makes me jealous when he talks about it. He wore Merrell boots on the hike, they have great customer support for people hiking the AT. They actually replaced his boots free of charge twice along the trail. I'm just over in Chattanooga, I'll keep an eye on when your going to be in the area and try to do a day or so on the trail with ya.

9. Hendo

Hendo V Card Puncher

Boots depends on the person, it is common to go through 2 pair, but some make it through in one. We are wearing Keens, so we may make it all the way.

Our packs will be 25 lbs-30lbs max.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  10. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Best of luck with your endeavor and glad you made it back to the states. Thank you for your service.

25 to 30 lbs, although max, is a lot of weight to carry for continuous extended periods of time over various terrains. Don't know why you were medevac'd but hope the additional carried weight on your hike doesn't add long term disability once completing the hike. As some of the guys here have posted, hope you can get that carried weight down.

11. styles

styles The untrained eye

Good luck! I've heard and read that its quite the challenge, mentally and physically.

12. Hendo

Hendo V Card Puncher

25-30lbs including water, minus food, is actually very good, we are taking the minimum. Not ultra-lighting it, but definitely only the necessities. We have been fit with quality lightweight packs so you really don't "feel" the weight. I am confident we will not have anything to mail home at the Neel Gap shakedown.

13. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Hi Ilene! I did a dualsport ride criss-crossing the AT last summer because I'm never going to have the time and desire to do the whole thing. It's quite a commitment and I hope you get what you're looking for out of it.

Books: I thought AWOL on the Appalachian Trail was really informative on the hike itself. Wild might also be interesting.

Best piece of gear in the past year: Lawson Blue Ridge Hammock. I got mine on sale for $116. The ultralight tarp setup never appealed to me so I took a chance on this and love it. Probably not ideal for the early spring but when the temps warm up it's hard to beat.

14. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

For a compromise, and one of my favs(prolly my most used of several highend shelters), thats easy to pack, is the Black Diamond Betamid. It can be had in silnylon as well. 4 stakes..insert trekking poles..walla! 4 season performance and only 2.5lbs or so. I have 2 of them, as well as the Megamid(uses 1 single oem pole).

With the side near the door pulled back. During an 07 solo trip in the Joyce Kilmer wilderness area, on Bob Stratton bald.
    [​IMG]
    The side closed off. Great 1 person + dog shelter.
    [​IMG]

Heres the Megamid this past summer here in the NC mtns(Shining Rock wilderness). Could easily house 2 +1 dog. The dog is getting older now, but can still go sometimes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  15. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

I am so down once the baby gets a little older.

16. Hendo

Hendo V Card Puncher

I know it has been a while since I posted, I do apologize, been busy hiking. We made it from Georgia thru Virginia and have jumped up here to Maine to head south and finish the trail. This will make sure we don't get shut out by bad weather up here in Maine and New Hampshire.

Today, Saturday 23 Aug, we are headed up to Baxter State Park, Maine. Sunday 24 Aug we hike up Mt. Katahdin and begin heading south to finish the trail. Thanks to everyone for your support so far and keep it up, we are on on our way to finish!!!!!

Check out our blog for the latest info and pics. If you are along the trail you can text or leave us a message on our cell phone, 404-234-6513.

postwarhike.blogspot.com

Hendo & Hendo's Mom

17. ew422

ew422 Well-Known Member

Woot!! Good on ya!! Best wishes. :rock: :bow:

18. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

19. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

20. revin62

revin62 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the hiking! The toughest part of thru hiking is the mental aspect. I completed the AT in 2003 and the PCT in 2010. The best times of my life were while hiking. Keep up the good work!