mounting tube type tiers on mags

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by yamahogg500, Aug 15, 2014.

1. yamahogg500

yamahogg500 Well-Known Member

I have a Hidenau tire I am mounting on a rd400 mag rim?
    Can these be mounted without the tube ? I already pinched 1 tube already.
    The tire says tube type on the side wall .

2. vnvbandit

vnvbandit Well-Known Member

Get another tube and do it right.

3. THIRTY4

THIRTY4 Well-Known Member

RD400 cast rims (they are aluminum and heavier than the spoked rims they replaced) were never meant for tubeless tires. The rims leak like a sieve.

4. yamahogg500

Thanks, for the input . I will get another tube and give it a go.

5. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

tire irons

do you have a good set of spoon tire irons? I see guys trying to use screw drivers to mount their tires and that's just wrong. baby powder that tube well before you put it in the tire and make sure it is well down away from the tire iron as you walk it around the rim so it doesn't get pinched. like the man said do not try to put it on tubeless. they are not made for it. b bill

6. barnacle bill

PS

I love this large print! yeah! b bill

7. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

I ran tubeless at Nelson last weekend with Avon tires marked tubeless on RD400 rims, no problems. Have been running them that way since last year.

8. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Also put in just enough air to inflate the tube; it helps to keep it from getting trapped between the bead and rim.

9. barnacle bill

large print

and here I thought everyone had large print on the board and I find out the grandson tinkered with it. but I like it . sorry about that.

on the porus rims I was told that you can paint them well on the inside and they'll hold air. but i was also told that sometimes they will just break the seal and roll off the rim ? never tiried it myself. keep us posted. thanks, bill

10. yamahogg500

After two pinched tubes I took it up to a local shop. The guy there
    only charged me $20 bucks plus $12 for another tube. The Hidenau
    I mounted was very narrow between the beads. I asked if it was a pain
    in the ass to mount and he said "yes I pinched a tube as well".

11. Ed Sorbo

Ed Sorbo Well-Known Member

By using duck tape to cover the spoke nipples on the tire side of the rim and a tubeless valve stem, I’ve run tube tires without a tube. I like to check the psi before I ride but I do that anyway. This worked, your plan should be fine.

But, remember I’m a crazy old guy…

12. barnacle bill

spoke nipples?

so you're running tubed tires on a laced up wheel with a duct tape seal? now that would take some nerve . wait, is this on dirt or pavement? and yes I agree with your last two comments. how are you doing ED? been awhile. hope you are well. bill and darethea

13. Ed Sorbo

I learned it from a friend in Hawaii. He had a trick RD400 with spoke rims. He wanted to run modern tubeless tires, so he installed a valve stem, taped over the nipples and it worked great.

The tube tires were on my dirt bike.

14. barnacle bill

ultralights

Ed did you ever scratch that flying bug . I remember talking with you at clermont years ago and we talked about sailing and flying and the subject got onto ultralights . did you ever get into that? just curious. bill

15. Ed Sorbo

Bill, I have to do my flying close to the ground. Any money spent on flying would have to take away from racing. Also, I need another hobby like I need another hole in my head. I still dream up neat little personal planes.