Moving to Toronto.

Discussion in 'General' started by zamboiv, Jul 19, 2014.

1. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Just found out yesterday that my company is moving my wife and I to Toronto for 3-5 years. Huge opportunity I couldn't pass up. Already got the barber shop heads up from my barber here --- anyone know crows nest barbers or another rockabilly barber --- I can't remember their name. Where should we live? We want to be on the water close to downtown if possible.

Other than giving up weekly golfing year round and ducks season tix, I'm pretty pumped. Wife is absolutely ecstatic --- she loves the cold weather and seasons.

2. cdog

cdog Active Member

Yep you'll have to give up golf from November to late March. It's not cheap to live in Toronto and property on/close to the waterfront is obviously at a premium whether your downtown or in the 'burbs. The amount of condo's being built down there has been pretty crazy over the last 10 years or so , some of them are pretty small though.

BTW there are four tracks within a two and a half hour drive of Toronto for your riding/racing "fix".

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  3. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Well you already live in postage stamp yard land so your used to that too.

4. zamboiv

Thx. My boss is racing the WC race this weekend at mosport. Im pretty pumped about being close to the track.

5. zamboiv

Yes. From a farm in Millwood VA to Cali is a big change. Been here ten years and adjusted. Not so sure about high rise living but gonna give it a shot.

6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Buy a thick parka, get snow tires, be ready for Mosquitos, and eat poutine at least once.

7. cdog

cdog Active Member

Yep mosport is less than an hour and a half from downtown, you will absolutely love it, it is quite the track! As a bonus they have another smaller "driver development" track their as well which is brand new , it's a lot smaller than the main track , but it's still another track to ride.

8. cdog

cdog Active Member

Ah Toronto isn't that bad for weather at all actually , there are a lot of places in the states that get worse winters than we do, and you'll have to go to Quebec if you want real poutine , the stuff anywhere else is crap.

9. backcountryme

You are closer to Quebec then I am. Out here in Alberta we throw smoked beef or pork on out poutine. Yum

10. cdog

cdog Active Member

LOL yeah I was born and raised in Quebec , so I'm well aware of the difference.

11. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Commute time via car anywhere near Toronto is brutal. Get a place near public transit if you can.

There are actually 6 soon to be 7 road courses near Toronto:

1. Mosport
    2. Mosport Rider Development Track (RDT)
    3. Shannonvile
    4. Grand Bend
    5. Toronto Motorsport Park
    6. Calabogie

Next year a new road course is supposed to open in Ft. Erie, Ontario that is a part of a $200 million racing facility that also will have a NASCAR type oval. It's less than 15 miles as the crow flies from me so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be done on schedule. I know that they're already constructing the high banked oval though.

12. caferace

caferace No.

However, Newport Beach where the OP currently lives is not one of them. :D

-jim

13. backcountryme

You will also be able to catch some Canadian Superbike racing.

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Forget the racing...hockey year round!

All BS aside, Toronto is one cool town. You'll have a blast.

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I hear the strippers are first rate there.

16. joec

joec brace yourself

Toronto is awesome. huge super modern city. the mayor, not so much. there is plenty of racing. and yeah, silly expensive. food isn't too bad though. gas, beer smokes ouch. abs as was said, definitely will want to either get the bus to work, or bike, or moto, or something. live close. the traffic sucks.

the people are stupid polite. no graffiti. crime is almost non existent compared to the states.

17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Thats Montreal.

Get ready to have your cost of living skyrocket. Car insurance, entertainment, basically EVERYTHING is more money in Canada and especially in Toronto.

Condos start at 300,000, average house price is 500,00 for run of the mill house.

I moved out of Toronto 4 years ago and hate going back. If you're single and young its great, or a trendy hipster looking down at everyone else.

I hope your company gave you a nice bump in pay for the move. It woyld personallt take 2x the money i make to consider living in Toronto proper.

18. zamboiv

Thx for the info. I'm not sure other than NYC there is anyplace more expensive in the US than where I live. What is super expensive for a condo to rent in the heart of the city? 4000/6000 a month? I'll get corporate housing until Beginning if 2015.

19. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

I lived there for almost 60 years and finally just bailed ...that tell ya anything?
    Date says a 2 bedroom lakeside is likely 3 grand and up

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I had a thread not long ago about housing pricing up there. My wife had been watching real estate shows and one was based in Canada/Toronto. The prices were INSANE - like a shitty $90k house around here was half a million dollars insane.

I'm sure your company knows it though and will compensate.