1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going from a big bike to a little bike...

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jun 14, 2014.

1. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

You want 03+. Yes have to be used
    Russel is selling one right now

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that, I agree with your assessment of the SV probably being a lot more fun on the track than the street.

3. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

Started out racing on a 600, then raced a 1000 and a 600 for a season. In 2012 I bought the cbr 250 and raced it along with the 1000. It is a blast to ride! All the fun and none of the fear. The cbr is down on HP(~7 less than the ninja) and I'm giving up 75-100lbs usually at 240lbs(then) but I was competitive. Had I went with the ninja I would have been much more competitive though. Learned several things figuring out how to go fast on the lil bike and my corner speed was 5-10mph faster than the big bike! I could come in worn out from running the 1000, jump on the 250 and not miss a beat. Although braking markers on the 1000 become up shift points on the 250 so that takes some getting used to. Motor would be wound out in 6th by the time I got to pit-out. The straight at RRR or Road A is comical though... And you realize that there are actually several straight portions to the track at Tally! Who knew?

4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Dude, at RA last weekend there were about 17 or so in ESS expert/novice combined. DSB there were about nine, but they ran with the SVSB's. DSS there were about the same as DSB but they ran with the SVSS's, which there were a buttload of. A solid 'D' bike can race with the yellow plate SVs and the occasional expert. So, generally this.....'E' bikes run on their own and have good grids. They can also bump up to DSS and some are really solid. 'D' bikes can run DSS and DSB and can hang with some SVs.

You at 210 would prolly want to run a ninjette in E class instead of the CBR250. The ninja makes a bit more power.

5. Y'all are making me seriously consider a Ninja. Lora's dealership has Kawi's and I could get one cheap. It might be fun.

6. My only reservation is that a buddy of mine (that no longer races) did just that. He had been racing his 750 for a few years and got a 250 and started racing it also. He said racing the 250 was some of the best fun ever. He loved it.

BUT...it made him slower on his 750. He tried to race them both and it was just too difficult. He did good on the 250, but then went slower on the 750. And he was a very good rider with some Expert podiums to his credit. Racing the two different bikes back-to-back was just too much.

I have prided myself on being able to jump on anything and ride it. I have never kept the same bike very long and have been able to jump on 600/750/1000cc I4's from several manufactures, Triples and V-Twin and been able to get up to speed quick. BUT they were all big bikes. I have never ridden a small bike, much less tried to ride a small bike and a big bike back to back.

But that makes me want to do it even more. I think a good goal would be to try to podium on a 250, 600 and 1000 in the same day.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Some Kawi stuff you can get here, other stuff I go to Japan or the UK, just take a little longer. Good thing is they don't break very often without help. :)

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

This is the right attitude to have. I'm the same way, and I'm not chest thumping. Some folks can do this without overthinking it. Go get that 250 (or 300) and have fun. THAT is what it's all about.:beer:

9. I hadn't thought about that. The 300 isn't legal in E-SS is it?

What year did Kawi stop making the 250 (new version) 2012?

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

No, 300 in the D class. Fuck it...go buy a 250 and a 300 and you're all good.:D

11. Is the 300 competitive in the D class? What other classes do people run the 300 in...and is it competitive in those?

Whatever I decide, I want to be able to buy a new bike.

12. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

With the right rider, the 300 would be competitive in DSS. Prolly even DSB. I don't know about other classes, but I'm guessing Clubman. Someone else would prolly know more about that. Now, Kawi has the new 300, Honda is bringing out a new 300 next year, and HOPEFULLY KTM will have the new 390 here next year. Oh, and Honda has the 500 already out which is already being raced in 'D'. I'm thinking at your size one of these bikes may bring more bang for the buck. Us puny effers can pilot 250's a tad better.:D

13. So Honda has a 500 and a 300...and they race in the same class? How did that happen?

I'm definitely looking for bang for the buck, while not getting a bike that is too big/fast. I want it to be a new and different experience, racing a bike that I can wind the shit out of all the time. That is why I'm ruling out the SV, they can get up to 80hp and that isn't what im looking for. I'm looking to race something 250-500cc, that is new/modern, and competitive in more than one class.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Points would still be counted separately. :D

15. But they could all go towards the Overall Championship. :D

16. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

:rolleyes::p:crackhead:

17. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

An sv I'll only reach 80hp if you broomeify it. Stop throwing money at it and that won't happen. .... Wait..... Nevermind

18. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I want to ask why not a used bike. But I know the answer won't make any damn sense anyway lol

19. Oh shit :crackup:

Because JuJu.