1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So DORNA decides to put MotoGP on pay channels…

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Mar 26, 2014.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Or as it's known in Spain, Italy and the UK, the anti-K channels.

Someone who speaks Spanish (maybe even Carlos, if his Spanish is better than his English) can verify this information for me but it seems that:

Switching from RTVE (Public) to Telecinco in Spain caused the Qatar round viewership to drop 62.3% (1.7 million this year).

The change from Mediaset to Sky in Italy got 33% fewer viewers (3.2 million this year).

Switching from the BBC to BT Sport in the UK called the 89.6% drop (230,000 this year)!

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Didn't Dorna sell the rights to broadcast to the pay channels?

3. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm sure people like Repsol and Monster are thrilled with that.

WTF where they thinking?

4. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

gone the same way here in AUS too, channel 10 (free to air) have onsold the rights to foxtel/speed, the grumblings on stalkbook suggest that people are now using pirate sites to watch it instead.

cheers.joe.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I thought that was implied in the thread title. :)

This doesn't impact them in the short run (I suppose), but at some point they will have to renew it. Or try to sell that in France (currently Eurosport), and other markets. That might change their price some.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They were thinking about the money.

Not surprising given Spain is still broke as hell. A little surprised about the UK with the brits in the series.

Wonder if the online stuff went up?

7. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Consider the information verified. Well, you understood what they said, anyway. I can't be bothered to actually verify their claims...

8. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the brake harder and longer to go faster strategy. :)

Glad I have the season subscription, well worth the money to me.

9. caferace

caferace No.

Dorna started demanding insane fees from the media. I finally said No. I can still do a show without their help.

They're killing roadracing faster than Sean.

-jim

10. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

The author brought up that very point. If viewership is really this bad, then why did TV channels pay so much for it? Future contracts will likely be less, and sponsors are likely to pay less as well. This could be very bad for Dorna, esp since over 27% of their profit came from Spain alone last year.

No me gusta.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Got to wonder what Speedvision or speed or Fox or whatever it is this weeks pays to broadcast it.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't speak Spanish, man. :D

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Should be next to nothing since that's the amount of the event they cover by the time you factor in the non-stop commercials.

14. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

The author did mention that there are 700,000 Movistar TV subscribers, which I'm assuming is internet TV in Spain, so maybe some of the lost viewers are there. Didn't mention the MotoGP website coverage, though.

Wasn't meant as a slight. Just corroborating your point, hombre. :Dbackatcha

Wonder if France is next?

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That would suck. Eurosport coverage is great.
    Actually, it's not free. It's a cable channel.
    They also tried MotoGP on a free channel in parallel to Eurosport a couple of years ago. It only lasted one season. Maybe two, I'm not even sure anymore. I never watched it. It only covered the MotoGP race (with a half-hour pre-race show). No qualifying, no practice, no support classes.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If viewership dropped, but income went up due to being a pay channel and not relying on advertising income then it's a net win. They'll run all the numbers, just raw viewers isn't enough to really know what the bottom line is for everyone involved.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's only a win in the short run. Don't you think the price Dorna can charge TV channels and sponsors will be adjusted at the next contract negotiation?

18. True, but thats a bit short sided. Viewers may attend races, buy merchandise, be a fan next year, etc. To make an extra buck today at the expense of exposure and fan base may prove to cost more long term.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Could very well be a short gain, no idea, but they all adjust what they are willing to pay or are charging as the market for the product changes.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

and when VR46 retires will really make them look at the market and prices