1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I tow with a Civic?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cannoli, Mar 6, 2014.

1. If mine was out in the open like that, I would probably put some tie downs on it. But inside the toy hauler I don't.

2. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Even with my STS I wrap the front wheel with a tie down anchored on either side to prevent bouncing and in a worst case scenario.

3. Terp01

Terp01 Well-Known Member

I did measure the tongue weight. A whopping 101 lbs.
    The trailer has an adjustable axle location and it can be moved back and forth in two positions. I haven't even played with it yet. I am thinking moving the axel to the front position may bring the tongue weight down to the target 10% (80 lbs with current set up).

It is a sturdy little trailer that weighs 310 lbs as it sits. It's definitely over built for its weight.

4. Terp01

Terp01 Well-Known Member

About three or four years ago, a guy within out Trackday circle had an accident which caused his enclosed trailer to hit a ditch and landed on its side. He had two bikes secured only by the pit bull trailer restraint system. Crazy enough, the trailer sat on it's side with the bikes hanging! Minimal damage to the bikes but the trailer was totaled obviously.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Make sure you have enough tongue weight. Not enough will cause swaying at speed.

6. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Our latest set-up... 20+ mpg at ~80mph and can still drop a gear and pass about anything.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

7. Terp01

Terp01 Well-Known Member

Good point. I am currently at 13.6% of gross weight. From what I read you want to ideally be 9-15% of gross weight.

8. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

Go from my normal 31-32 mpg to 24 mpg running 75ish, 25% loss in fuel economy but still way better than most any truck will do

When I pull the enclosed trailer I lose another 2 mpg and averaged 22 running 72ish on a 4500 mile trip last year hauling 2 bikes inside it.

Attached Files:

9. Obviously I got it all wrong. I should have bought a car.

10. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

What's wrong with that?

11. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Useless. The trailer doesn't exist. I zip tied some 1" PVC pipe back there to make some sight poles.

+1

I don't strap my bikes when using the TRS whether it's the toy hauler or the open trailer. I wager a bounce severe enough to actually flip the bike over backwards would destroy the car and trailer as well.

12. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I've towed behind my bicycle, if this helps you in anyway,

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I add a front tie down to my TRS set up. Left tie down point, around the front wheel once, right tie down point. It gives me peace of mind. I know that the bike as a whole isn't going anywhere with the TRS, but I like the idea of the front being locked down. Only takes a 20 seconds.

14. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Me too. I've just put my truck on craigslist and putting a hitch on my BRZ right now :D

15. Terp01

Terp01 Well-Known Member

That's not the freaking point. Original poster asked if it's possible to tow with a small compact car. That's it. Others, like myself, gave examples which shows it is possible in our own cases. But topic digressed into a Pit Bull TRS discussion and the merits of front end securing.

It's ok, keep trucking with your truck. It's a free country.

16. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

^ oh how we digress.

A truck obviously is a better tool for the job, but sometimes a car will do. Of course the user is really the determining factor in how smart or how safe it is.

17. TurnOne1

TurnOne1 Well-Known Member

I own a BRZ and guarantee it would tow a single bike trailer without any problems. Assumes manual transmission.
    I towed two full size sport bikes all over with a 4 cyl sonata. Always got 18-23 mpg when towing, which is better than most trucks ever get.

Most who drive trucks around to occasionally tow a trailer are wasting a lot of fuel during all the times they aren't towing.

Especially now that diesel cars are coming to America.

As already noted the Golf TDI is rated to tow 3500 lbs in Europe. Pretty sure that car would easily tow up to 2000 pounds in the USA.

Newer trucks are getting more efficient.

Chris

18. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Uhhhhh...please read the thread. I was defending using a car...even posted a link to an article on the great American towing conspiracy.

Having some fun with my BRZ comment :crackup: although my truck comes in very handy for payload, towing, and 4wd this winter!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  19. Dude. He was making a joke. Hence the ":D".