1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford F250 Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by jboyd12, Mar 1, 2014.

1. jboyd12

jboyd12 Well-Known Member

no i know the history of the truck it pretty much sat in the drive way it life was used very rarely used. IT never pulled a big load it does have a big western plow on it but was only used to plow a small driveway it was owned by a older guy about 72 years old I was thinking about 15g, but the looking for more like 19g

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I dont see any posts stating that. :Poke: But Id ask to see who put $20k+ worth of fuel through a 6.0 before broad brushing a HG or other serious mechanical failure. :up:

3. TurboBlew

Id be comfortable at 15-18 for such a low mileage vehicle.

4. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

That's the equivalent of 90,000 miles at 18mpg. If you think a 6.0 is problematic with those #'s you are misinformed.

6.0 stock is no more problematic than the competition. If you hotrod it, head gaskets are an issue. Dollar for dollar it will stomp the comp if you tune it and let it breath.

Best Trans (torque shift), also.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Miss this post?

7. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

I had an 03, sold in 2010, ran without a single issue engine wise. the fan cut the fan clutch wire (overheated not long after) easy fix though. alternator and that is the extent of repairs. a good buddy has a powerstroke shop where they see a lot of trucks. he said (like mongo) if you get one that starts life fine and stays fine for the first bit, chances are youll be good.

that is low milage though for a truck that's 11years old...id be more worried about things not working because it wasnt driven. diesels don't like to sit.

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Buy a V10 and forget all the drama. You're going to roll the dice with a 6 liter. Yea, may drink a bit more fuel, but its cheaper (at the moment) and service is far cheaper in the long run for a gas engine. They are even putting the V10 in medium duty trucks now they were so desired. Our next rollback will be a v10, gross on the truck alone will be somewhere in the 14k range and loaded just under CDL (26k?). Have talked to quite a few people with them and they wont win races but they pull just as good as the older 5.9 cummins in the same setup. BTW- I'm a mechanic and can do all this work for cost and I still wouldn't buy a 6.0, if that gives you an idea.

ps-- like the guy above me said, if it has that low of miles you may be looking at other issues right off the bat for sitting. Tires dry rotted, brakes rusted? The way it was stored will be a big factor. If it was inside you may be pretty well off, outside all bets are off.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  9. TurboBlew

Thanks... the remaining diesels we are currently using a 06 250s with over 200k on each. Ironically the one with higher miles (285k) has not had any issues other than a couple of glow plugs & a cracked coolant reservoir (regular oil changes & 2 sets of tires). The lower mileage one had an HPP installed (160k) by a hack shop which caused other issues. But since then has had nothing but oil & tire changes.

yes because I don't rely on google to keep my trucks making money from an airchair. :Poke: ;)

10. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

With the 6.0 you can find a GOOD shop the bullet proof it for under 5K, easily. I have 2 locally in Columbus that will do it with full materials and even have the heads machined if needed for $3,500, granted these are in their home shops and not at a dealer, but still.

Once that's done, truck will last forever. You can also do it yourself if you do the research and just really look into the writeups, guy in Cleveland did it in his driveway in a week with NO lift, NO air tools, and nothing more than normal hand tools. Granted he is a semi driver with knowledge, but he offered to do mine for 1,500+parts.

I had an 05 6.0 bought with 89K, at 98K I lost 5 injectors, then deleted EGR and got a tuner at 100K, only issue I had that kept happening was that the rear right brake would lock up, replaced calipers twice, and finally said forget it, it's a bigger problem then I want to mess with.

Got a 6.4 and love it.

11. TurboBlew

I doubt working trucks are longing for high reving V10s. Might be more of a financial decision by ford to clear out inventory since that's the last gas big block available to RV & wholesale buyers and the EPA has a hardon for them. If I was to have a V10 it'd have to be later (2010+) model with a flash. The older model v10s can be just as problematic than a 6.0 in the hands of an anvil breaker. :Poke::D

12. 1. My oil changes never cost that much. They are typically $50-$60.

2. Fuel fiters typically cost 1/2 that much.

3. What diesel are you driving that only gets 13-15mpg? My diesel gets a lot better mpg than the gas trucks i had before it, city and highway. And while towing it is a no-brainer, the diesel gets twice the mpg as the gas trucks i had.

You have to change the oil and put fuel in whatever you drive, and the price isn't that much difference between a gas or a diesel for either...especially when you consider there are numerous people who go 10-20k between oil changes on their diesels.

Your numbers are off, at least compared to what i spend on my truck. I cant speak for Fords. But that is common. Usually when people are biased towards gas vehicles, they throw out all kinds of inflated numbers, horror stories and shit like that to back up their opinion on diesels. I heard all of that kind of shit, bought a diesel anyway, and couldnt be happier. I will never own another gas truck, ever.

13. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

the older v10 also had bad coils.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think that is more about it being a pickup than about the engine.

15. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

^^^This

I have had a 7.3 since 2002 with zero problems.
    My buddy has a 06 6.0 and it breaks regularly.

16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I have a 7.3 and a 6.0

Full synthetic in both. 30K oil changes. 10K filter only changes.

I would NEVER buy another 6.0.

Every.

7.3's are the bomb. A little underpowered.....but fucking great motors.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well I'm just glad my 315k *almost* 6.0l is in a pickup that has one of them horny goat emblems on it, otherwise she wouldn't have started at -14 this morning without being plugged in. :D

18. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

How much money in parts have you sunk into that thing in the past month?:Poke:

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've never had an issue with a powerstroke starting in sub zero temps, even after multiple days below zero in a parking garage when doing the show circuit up north. Granted, they did prefer being plugged in but hell, so would I :D

20. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

No shit! I usually use my phone as an alarm clock and when the first thing I see is that it's -15 it's a little tough to get motivated in the morning. Plus, for some reason my remote start doesn't work when it's that cold. Yes, I'm whining.