1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TST tire pressure monitoring system

Discussion in 'General' started by V5 Racer, Jan 23, 2014.

1. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Anyone using it?

What is the difference between the 507 and 510?

Like it or no?

What about multiple trailers, are you moving or adding sensors?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Travis is using it. We are about to order one, we are going with the internal sensors, battery life is suppose to be 7 yrs.

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

You going with the 507 or 510? Near as I can determine the batteries in the external sensors are the big difference, the 507 has user replaceable batteries whereas the 510 sensors have to go back to the mothership. Don't know about the internal sensors.

4. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

I have the TST 507 Flow Through system on our 40' diesel motorhome and enclosed trailer. I chose the TST based on feedback from other motorhome owners and my research. I went with the replaceable batteries as I'd rather be able to replace the batteries myself when necessary rather than have to send the sensor back to the company. I knew the sensors wouldn't go bad until I was on a 2,000 mile round trip. It's a five-minute job to replace the battery, and you can buy them on Amazon for a couple bucks each. Supposedly the trade off is the 507 batteries need replaced more often than the 510s, but I've only replaced one battery in two years of use.

The Flow Through sensors allow you to add or bleed off air without removing the sensor, which is nice. However, they do restrict the flow, so if you need to add much air to a large tire (like a 22.5" motorhome tire that needs 105 psi) it definitely takes longer.

I have the sensors on all six motorhome wheels and the trailer wheels. I also found I needed the repeater/booster to get the trailer sensors to read consistently, but that's mostly due to the length of the motorhome and the huge chunk of metal (diesel engine) between the trailer sensors and the monitor/antenna. Also, you may have to rotate or change the valve stems to accomodate the sensor. I wouldn't recommend using rubber valve stems with the sensors.

The system is very customizable, and let's you set the upper and lower psi limits and the upper temperature limits for the alarm. It seems accurate -- usually within a psi of my manual gauge.

While monitoring the tire temp and pressure won't prevent a blow-out, it should at least give you a bit of warning that something's amiss. And given I can't feel the trailer behind our motorhome and can only see it in the rear view camera, having some sort of monitoring system is critical for me.

5. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

The company I work for manufactures Trailer TPMS systems. So as not to use the beeb for unauthorized marketing send me a PM and I'll send you some info.

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Yep, love it.
    I have the one with the batteries I can replace, forgot what # that is.
    I just switch them back and forth between trailers, no harder than screwing a valve stem cap on.

You MUST have metal valve stems. I have a couple pics of the trip to VIR with rubber stems... scary. I'll email them to you.

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Thanks. Are you running the sensors on the truck as well or just the trailer?

8. t11ravis

Might as well post this for everyone.
    This is my first trip, 500 miles with rubber stems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

10. t11ravis

I bought 6 sensors, 4 for the trailer and 2 for the rear truck wheels. Extra $100 but worth it to me when pulling the 5th wheel.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you're answering a question it's all good.

12. I need to get me one of these systems. Both times I have blown a tire on the toy hauler I didnt know it. All of my past few vehicles have had it and I never used it. Last week I put some RBP wheels on the truck and I didnt even put the sensors in them. But for a trailer, I am starting to think they are a must.

13. t11ravis

Happened to me one time, that's why I bought it. :up:

14. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

I work for Dill Air Control Products who, in partnership with our parent company (an OEM provider of TPMS sensors), developed a TPMS system for Trailers based off of the engineering of the OEM sensors. The first thing you will notice about our kit is that the sensor is mounted inside the wheel and attached to a metal valve stem vs the external mount of the product you listed.

http://dillaircontrols.com/dill/category/products/tpms/trailer-tpms/

The reason we produce and sell the internal vs external version is based on the following:
    1. The external sensors require the valve core (your primary seal) to remain open at all times making the sensor the primary and only method of sealing the tire. The result is an increased chance for leakage through the valve / sensor assembly. With the internal system you maintain the primary (valve core) and secondary (valve cap) sealing methods.
    2. The external sensor should not be installed on a rubber tire valve as it is not designed to handle the forces exerted on it due to the additional mass of the sensor which results in you running the risk of creating a leak by damaging the rubber valve stem where it seals to the rim. The good news is the system will warn you your tire pressure is low and you should be able to react before it is a significant issue. The bad news is you'll have to replace your valve stem. Therefore, if you choose the external system it is highly recommended you have the valve stems replaced with metal stems.
    3. The external sensors are easily stolen.
    4. Battery life of the internal sensors is approx. 7 years.

While the internal system will cost more to install and cannot be easily moved from one trailer to another we are confident it is a more robust system for monitoring your trailer tires.

I am hoping this post has provided information you can use to select the system that is best for you.

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I have 6 trailers.

16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

7 years is a good estimate too, we aren't really running into battery issues until now since they were mandated in 07 for passenger vehicles. Sure you get one every now and again but the majority have been good. Make sure you balance your wheels after you install the sensors guys!

17. t11ravis

Easy choice then. :D

18. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

hell, i had an entire wheel come off my toy hauler (lug nuts got loose and sheared all 8 studs clean off) and i didnt know it! :eek:

How i found out was a guy pulling up beside me as im cruising down i-20 at 80mph, pointing back at my trailer. I pulled off to the shoulder, and some guy pulls up behind me in a truck asking me if im missing something. I look at the trailer and see the entire wheel gone. He stopped and picked up the wheel from the side of the interstate after he followed it for a 1/4 mile till it finally went to the shoulder and fell over.

19. t11ravis

Was the tire pressure still OK though? :D

20. t11ravis

This is the one that scared me into buying it.
    Never felt it go, only noticed it when I stopped at the gate.
    [​IMG]