1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Coppers

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Jan 13, 2014.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Which of you guys gets to play with the coolest toys and pilot the baddest ride when you're on the job?
    Are you Andy Taylor or Robocop out there?

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Don't be a jealous bitch.
    Just because they have the cool toys you aren't allowed to possess where you live.
    Like, anything sharp or hot.

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Nothing sharp or hot?

You just described every chick he's ever dated.

5. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

Parked at my house I have a 2012 Dodge Charger (big motor) and 2011 Harley Davidson Electra Glide. I carry a Glock 22, Glock 27 (personally owned), Remington 870, and a Vietnam-era M16 (semi-auto only).

I was on the SWAT team for 9 years. Over those years I had been issued H&K MP5 .40, FN P90, Colt M4 .223 (all full-auto capable), and/or a Benelli M1 entry shotgun. I got to play with 37mm and 40mm gas launchers, took the Tazer lightning ride, busted shit down with several types of breaching tools, and tossed a butt-ton of flash bangs. I got to shoot hundreds of Simunition rounds at people (and received a few dozen myself...ouch!). Our favorite toy, however, was the Lenco Bearcat armored truck. We loved that truck. Creeping across an open field to approach a house with nothing but darkness to conceal us from a deer rifle was unnerving, to say the least. With the Bearcat we could pull right up to the front door and take that rifle mostly out of play. I was sitting inside it when we took hits from a 9mm and a .30-30. Not even close to on par with military experience, but that truck was my fren.

I am both Andy Taylor and Robocop, depending on the situation.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  6. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

We put together the last of the V8 Interceptors for a guy once. How? You know...a piece from here, a piece from there.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Three days ago I sawr a rig that'll haul that tanka.

8. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!

9. motox

motox 164

Mmm glocks

10. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

H&K USP .40 is what I currently carry and I drive grandpa's Crown Vic.

I've carried a Bushmaster M4 full auto and an H&K MP5 when I was on tac.

IMO the full auto M4 was a little over kill in an urban environment and we've since neutered them to semi only, along with the MP5, which is just plain sad.

The flash bangs and 37 / 40 grenade launchers were always fun, especially the multi launcher that you have to wind up. I've seen tri chamber gas grenades and the combo OC / CS bring a 300 lb fighting felon to his knees. Wood and foam batons also come to mind. Oh, and the Remington 700 with the Nightforce scope was tits. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

But nothing ever compares to shooting a TOW middle down range during my Marine Corps days.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  11. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

HAHAHA :crackup::crackup:
    :clap:

12. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Even for SWAT/SRT, is there ever a real reason to use full-auto?
    Buddy of mine is an Sheriff's SRT Firearms instructor, and I think maybe one of his rifles has the happy switch. When you're accountable for every bullet...

13. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

If you need to kill everyone in a room or car, real fast :D

My buddy (Swat) shot a guy w/ a 3rd burst (HK-MP5/9mm) in the face from a few feet away.

1st rd: bottom of nose.
    2nd rd: upper eye socket.
    3rd rd: missed, went over his head (dude's head was rocking back @ that point, from two impacts, decreasing his targeted area...fwiw).

I don't have an opinion on semi vs full (I'm never gonna shoot anyone) , just tossing out a fwiw in a swat-scenario

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

When I was a Coastie, this was my toy (well, every 3rd day). Twin 903 Cummins turbodiesels rated at 318 HP each.

[​IMG]

Now at my old station they get to play with this. Twin MTU Detroit Diesels that exit through Rolls Royce waterjets rated at 825HP each. Lucky bastards!

[​IMG]

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

That was my project. I owned the mechanical outfitting, sea trials, modifications, delivery, and Coast Guard evaluation operations. 39" of draft dockside. Twin Rolls Royce/Kamewa water jets (still have the hat and coveralls), 50-ish MPH (trimmed just right in fair sea), and vector-stick (360*) controls with manual over ride. My old baby. I am proud to have been a part of the acquisition team.

Favorite memory from the evaluation test- Running down the St Charles waterway past Newport News shipyard, we were being overtaken by a 40' Grady White. I asked the Senior Chief the speed limit on the waterway. He looked at me, paused, and said "No speed limit here, why?" I looked at the Grady White and asked if I could push it against the stops. "I don't see a problem with that, do you think they would mind?" was his repsonse.

Grady Whites are slow.

Anyway, the original test article is rotting on a beach somewhere in the Ccaribbean, probably still on St Vincent in the Grenadines. Poor little fella. That was my favorite delivery.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I love the new waterjet stuff on big(ger) boats. Too cool to see something that large handle like a jet ski :D

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

That is a great story!

I loved my old 41 footer so much that I actually looked into buying one of them when they were retired but that was a pipe dream.

I was in the wheelhouse of this new RB-M and it just blew me away, especially the joysticks that you mentioned. The coxswain that gave me a tour said they love it but they had only received the boat about a month before I visited the station and theirs was barely broken in. Had less than 100 hours on it.

But honestly the new boat seemed too cramped for me. I loved my old school wheelhouse with plenty of room. I stood up most of the time that I captained it. Can't do that in the new RB-M. It's more like sitting in a fighter jet. But I would sure love that 1600 + HP:D

18. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

We trained semi-auto on all building entries. BUT, we also train for open terrain manhunts. We have had armed survivalists flee into the woods following murders in our state's history, as have many others. There are instances were full-auto could come into play in that scenario (counter-ambush, suppressive fire for downed officer rescue, etc). SWAT has to be equipped and prepared to handle whatever the rest of the police cannot. Better to have it and not need it...

19. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Full auto on an M4 in my city was not needed. There's usually poor round control after the 2nd or 3rd round. The MP5 is a different story. At close range you could knock out the center of the target with all 30 9mm rounds. Gave me wood. :D

20. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

It's needed here....

pew pew pew pew pew pew pew.......