1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli compound for Barber?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tropicoz, Oct 6, 2013.

1. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

If tire psi accurate (as in gauge spot on) AND Warmers worked good (45+mins at @175+ thou we had to run lil longer due to wind) then I'd say shock setup. Our SC1 looked fantastic all weekend running 1:29-1:30's on R6.

My $.02

2. auz_gsxr

auz_gsxr Well-Known Member

Could be throttle application. Tyre is showing very late throttle being applied so if it's being applied too heavy she's shreading. Get on the gas sooner and smoother

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

What are your sag numbers at? Was the 25psi set when you went out? What was it when you came back in? Did you check before and after pressures every time you went out? Ambient temp?

What's your wheelbase at? If you're overly short, that might explain why it's rubbing. Have never had an issue on our R6's, no matter what the brand tire.

4. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

- Have no idea what my sag is set at. Markbilt set me up at one of the TD's at NJMP. We did the geometry setup, where I'd go out a session, come back, let him know what I liked/didn't, and he changed it. Did that the entire day and it was feeling damn good in the afternoon sessions. I'll have to measure it when I get home tonight.

-25PSI was set before I went out. I don't check the tire pressure after I come back in. It's hard to get a consistent time back to the pits every time. Sometimes I'm the first guy to get to post race tech. Some times I gotta wait 3-4 minutes.

-Ambient temp was, I'd say 55-60 degrees out? I'd have to double check the weather.

-I've never measured my wheelbase, because there's not really anything I can do to change that, correct? Again, I'm running stock sprockets/chain/gearing. I adjust the chain tension to spec, and where ever the wheel base is at, that's it.

For what it's worth, my Dunlop GPA's did not do this tearing, nor did the Michelin slicks I was using. Both the Michelin and GPA's looked like the left side of the tire (From, what I can tell googling, is about perfect on wear patterns).

Edit: I'll also add in that I'm still a super squid, and I don't change jack shit on my bike between the different tracks that I go to. Am I starting to get anywhere near fast enough that I'm going to have to start filling out a suspension set up notebook for the tracks I go to?

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

It's something to fall back on, to make sure you're in the ballpark - when something's happening you can't figure out.

You need to start. At least to develop a knowledge base of how the tire reacts after morning sessions, afternoon sessions, X minutes on the warmers, etc. etc.. If it's cool in the morning and you went out at 25, it's possible the pressure dropped. You were at the lower end of the range to begin with.

Where are you on the swingarm adjusters? If you're in tight, that might explain why your tire is rubbing. You can change with chain length and sprocket selection, easily enough.

All brands aren't the same, so you may have to make changes based on the brand you ride on. Our teammate switched over to Pirelli from Dunlop this past year and he had to make minor shock adjustments to get the tire working for him. He then went on to set personal bests once he got it figured out. It's not rocket science, but plugging new tires onto the bike and expecting it to work right away isn't entirely realistic.

If you want to get faster, why do you have to be going at a certain speed to justify taking notes?

6. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

That picture looks like hot tear to me.

I've run my Pirellis towards the higher end of the psi range to avoid hot tearing. I was able to manage the tires via pressure all year except one front tire at Putnam shredded due to a combination of track conditions and compound despite continual adjustment of air pressure.

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What do you weigh and what spring is on the bike?

A shock that's too soft will eat a tire like that.

8. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

+1 looks like the rear tire on bikes my big ass rides without respringing, the pirellis especially.