Buyer Beware---WAYNE DEGOURNEY

Discussion in 'General' started by Vstate60, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's simple - once you started going on about how easy it is to figure out the mechanic then you may as well just say his name.

So did you talk to Opie about this yourself?

2. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Any mechanic that uses jb weld to seal any area of an engine that holds oil knowing the bike is going out on a track with other riders is an asshole, I dont care what the circumstances were. If youre going to be a "professional" either do it right or dont do it.

3. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

I made one comment--that it was easy enough to figure it out for those concerned. I'm not naming the wrench, for the sole purpose of keeping this on track. Who did the work is a far second place to who knowingly put two people's lives in danger.

4. One could argue the mechanic is just as guilty of knowingly putting two people's lives in danger.

Im just sayin'.

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:stupid:

6. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

The mechanic put everyone who was on track with that guy "for just the one weekend" in danger. Period. End of story.

I wouldnt do that on a clapped out street bike let alone a race bike. Just the liability issue is enough to make you queasy.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So you're okay with those fixes for one event? Even though it started leaking on the first event?

8. duc995

duc995 Yep…

If things really did grenade at that last one race no one would have ever found out about the crooked wrenching because it would have just been called a "racing incident." This is extremely disturbing and needs to be resolved.

9. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

We need better JB weld and there would be no problem. Its the same crappy shit for the last 40+ years. With all the new space-age technology and "nanotechnology" and computers and shit you would think they would have come up with an improved, better product by now. You know, shit that actually works.

Proof positive that humanity is tapped-out on technological advances and the human race is doomed. Fifty years ago we put a guy on the moon and haven't been able to do anything more impressive since. Its no wonder we are still using the same epoxy from back then...

Fucking Billy Mays Mighty Putty...

10. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

But everyone is thinking it was Opie that was the wrench because his shop is listed. It could have been one of his employees and Ope had no idea it happened but he is getting the blame in public right now.

11. Seeley

Seeley Well-Known Member

Just so I understand...

The current owner of the bike doesn't see any reason to create a thread on the forums about him buying a bum bike from Wayne D, but his buddy does.

I also am led to understand that if I take my bike to a mechanic and have it worked on, then take out of the shop and maybe drop it off the back of the truck or shitwreck it in Turn 3 at Barber, the mechanic is as responsible for that bike as I am if I sell it without disclosing that information.

That's awesome.

All I know, when I buy racing vehicles, it's my responsibility alone to check out, or have the the vehicle checked out by someone I trust. Certainly after I pay for it, take it, and then use it, the warranty has expired. Seriously, don't people even inspect their new purchases before trying for the track record?

12. opedogg

opedogg Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone, Opie here - after seeing this thread reach 6 pages, I decided to attempt to clarify this situation. I received a text on Monday September 30th at 8:45pm from Wayne saying "Hey bro, I need your advice asap man help!" I replied to that text Tuesday morning at 7:35am saying "Sorry I missed your call, call me when you can". Within 30 minutes, Wayne calls me back and explains to me that the buyer of his bike is furious because he found that the frame was cracked at the right front motor mount where the pinch bolt goes into the frame - which is easily visible with just the body work removed. The buyer, I believe his name is Travis, called or texted Wayne, and went off about the frame being broken - totally understandable. As Wayne is telling me all of this, I asked Wayne "Dude, didn't you tell him about the frame?" Waynes answer to me was that he just forgot - which I personally call BS on but that is what he told me. This bike was originally my Schwantz School instructor bike. I bought it at the end of 2007 and raced it in the WERA National Challenge Series in 2008 - I crashed it once at Summit Point that year. Trevor Townsend bought this bike from me, raced it in 2009 and crashed it twice - once at Roebling Road turn 3 and again at VIR in the Hog Pen. The bike was repaired and sold to Wayne at the end of 2010. During Waynes ownership of this bike, he crashed it MINIMUM of 5 times and during one of those crashes, the right frame slider caught something and bent backwards, cracking the frame in the process. Despite my warnings to Wayne, he continued to ride that bike. The cracked motor in question is engine number R743-107377. The rebuild on this engine was completed on March 3rd, 2012 and included a complete rebuild minus new valves. The reason the receipt shows a more recent date is because Wayne didn't have all of the money to pay the bill so I offered him personal financing on his repair order. So, I get Travis' phone number from Wayne and call him. I spend the next hour on the phone as Travis tells me his side of the story. He told me the bike was currently at a shop called Proline which is owned by a guy named Vinnie. I get Vinnies number from Travis and then head inside my shop. I spent the enitre 1st conversation with Travis sitting in my truck. As I walk inside my shop, my Tech Kevin is playing a voicemail from Travis from earlier in the morning and Travis was saying he was going to run MY name through the mud of the WERA BBS unless I called him back. Kevin is all pissed off at this point but I told him to chill because I've already talked to Travis - I'm on it! So I call Vinnie and he and I kind of hit it off! Turns out he remembers me and this bike because I beat his rider Clint Mcbain at a WERA race at Roebling on this very bike! So, once we establish who each other is he shared with me about the crack in the engine. Let me just say that I truthfully and honestly have no recollection of this engine EVER being damaged, cracked or repaired with JB weld. My belief is that during Waynes last crash, the engine was cracked then. In regards to a "half ass" repair, all that was done were cosmetic repairs like a new subrame box, new bodywork and a new fairing brace. Waynes original intention was to finish the season, once his ankle healed back up, on the bike as it was. And again, I reminded him that the frame still needs to be repaired if he planned to ride it again the next season. Then out of nowhere, he shows up at Caylormade one day and said he's picking the bike up because he had it sold to a guy from Florida. Now, after talking to Vinnie, he had already found another 750 engine in Florida for $900. I immediately contacted Travis back and said okay, Vinnie found another engine for $900 dollars and ask him what he planned to do. He said to me, I've just bouht the thing - I have to fix it! I said okay, let me talk to Wayne. Upon talking to Wayne, later that day at Caylormade, I told Wayne of this $900 dollar motor that Vinnie had found in Florida. Without even asking Wayne, he said to me that he felt bad and was willing to return money to Travis in the amount of $450 dollars to help pay for this other engine. To my understanding Wayne did this and helped pay for half of this other engine. I called Travis back again and told him that Wayne was willing to help pay for this other motor. Travis was thrilled, he even told me that Tim Hunt said Opie Caylor is a standup guy and that I proved that to him by helpin out in this situation. Travis even apologized to me for leaving the nasty message on my answering machine. He told me that it seems like he always is getting screwed by people but that I proved to him that I wasn't one of "those guys". At the end of the day, I felt like I did everything that I could possibly do to help the situation. During conversations with both Wayne and Travis I explained that if I were a judge that I would have said Wayne, you've GOT to be more up front when you're selling something used. And I told Travis, if and when you're buying something used like a racebike, you've GOT to ask more questions or get a third party inspection.

In closing, I just want to add some information about me. I'm a life member of WERA and have held a race license since 1995. I've won well over 100 sprint and endurance races and have won nearly 20 different national titles. As a technician, I rebuilt my first motor at 13 years of age. I turned 40 on September 11th of this year. There is one word that describes everything I do on or off the track - integrity. As a racer, nothing scares me more than oil on a racetrack. As a mehanic, I can assure each and everyone of you that nothing scares me more than the possibility of someone getting hurt by something I did or forget to do on their motorycle while at Caylormade Motorsports. If any of you have questions now or in the future, I welcome it. My telephone number at Caylormade is (770)973-9339. Sorry for the long response, I'm just trying to be thorugh. Thank you. Opie

13. THAT is why many of us found it hard to believe. Opie, it is unfortunate you had to come on here and go into all of that, but I am glad you did. :beer:

14. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Dammit!!!! Just as I said this thread wouldn't make it!!!

Happy to see Opie chime in and straighten things out but regardless, for the sake of my personal enjoyment, thread totally ruined!

15. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Opie,

Do you have any photographic evidence of cornering low? Because it certainly appears that you are a stand-up guy.

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I want video of Broome reading that post.

17. :crackup:

I hit it in spurts. :D

18. caferace

caferace No.

[​IMG]

-jim

19. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Is there a cliff notes (Broome) version of that post?

:D