1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lots of rule changes for AMA in 2014

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hmmmm, you’re on to something Britt. The cost of tools and driving down the costs of said tools. I propose a claiming rule/ maximum tool allowance.

1) Snap on, Mac, Craftsman, Home depot house brand, shit bought at a truck stop and the rest of top dollar tools are banned.
    2) All teams are allowed one complete set of tools per team.
    3) The teams are allowed two (2) mechanics.
    4) The maximum dollar spent on a complete tool set is set at $54.95.
    5) A set of tools will consist of the following:
    A) One set of channel locks
    B) One (metric) adjustable wrench.
    C) One (fractional) adjustable wrench.
    D) One Phillips screw driver. Length not to exceed 24”.
    E) One flat blade screw driver. Length not to exceed 24”.
    F) A set of feeler gauges missing at least two “blades.”
    G) A roll of duct tape
    H) A can of knock off brand WD40.
    I) A big ass hammer
    J) A little ass hammer
    K) A metric hammer of the middle ass size
    6) All tools are to be bought at Harbour freight and the use of coupons is NOT allowed.
    7) Any team suspecting another team of using anything other than Harbour Freight tools may claim that tool at 2.5 times the catalog listed price of said tool with a written protest. Protest paperwork can be purchased from DMG for USD 10 with a USD filing fee of USD 20 and a piece of pie (pumpkin, cherry, apple but none of that rhubarb shit. Rhubarb is a weed, not pie filling!).
    8) All tools must be carried in the Giant plastic grocery “tool pouch” purchased from DMG for the sum of USD 10 (this USD 10 does not count against your tool budget listed above).
    9) Mechanics gloves or similar types are banned!
    10) Any tool may be requested to be added the above list if you file the “request to homologate this here motherf@ckin' tool” form available from purchase from DMG for USD 10 per copy filed in triplicate plus a filing fee of USD 20. Use of copy machines is forbidden, all copies must be completed by hand using a different colored ink for each and must include the following words “Mongo is a poopiehead.”

2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've never understood how it will cut costs, don't you still have to carry enough parts to build a second bike? Or do you just not race on Sunday if you yard sale it on Saturday? If you go down at speed and the bike tumbles and breaks the frame, forks, and a wheel, that pretty much means a whole new bike doesn't it?

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Two bikes to test things with. One bike, rain prepped, ready and set to go. Those are two of the things off the top of my head. The rule is used elsewhere with a clear purpose and intent.

Electronics being leveled across the board would be a big thing.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If you destroy a bike, you destroy a bike. That cost has not changed. Unless you do this, it's potentially hard to understand it.

I only know how it works from my perspective. We kept two bikes running to the same spec all year. That means two bikes ready to go at any time. We warmed up a spare for the two lap rule every weekend, we went out on bike two to make sure it was shaken down. We had a third bike in the truck as a mule for parts. Now, there's one less bike involved. No more prepping two bikes to be fired up each weekend. No more extra set of tires for the backup. Now we don't have to have two good sets of bodywork plus spares for crashing. One less set of wheels. Everything is reduced by one bike, cost of the bike, cost of maintenance, cost of hauling it around. There's also the time involved switching settings on bike 2 when we find a good setup with bike 1.

This may not apply to every team out there, but I know how it applies to us. Trust me, it's less costly for us. It may not be for everyone, but it is for us.

Your experience may vary.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Racing in the 90's was about "The Show". Take Mid Ohio for example... The place was a circus. All of the manufacturers had tents. All of the aftermarket vendors had tents where you could buy anything you wanted. There was so much to do, you nearly forgot there was a race going on.

Relatively, the bikes were inexpensive and parts for the bikes were inexpensive. The AMA didn't send you a nasty gram if you showed up in a Astro Van with 6x12 trailer.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You know, we almost won the Supersport title this year with a setup similar to that. ;) No nasty grams, in fact, a lot of encouragement.

7. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Seems like one bike rule and colored numbered plates are two more examples of the AMA out smarting itself. As mentioned, now a local privateer that wants to race a local AMA event has to spend extra money to paint or get a wrap to even be allowed in. For the privateers who are making the effort to travel cross country to make an event, or entire series, if they have a big off or blown motor, their entire weekend may be done before it gets started. If a guy crashes requiring a significant rebuild, and he can't afford an army of mechanics, his weekend may very well be done. I wonder how many times a small guy will want to waste fuel and travel expenses to travel cross country, only not to compete, before he says forget it. The add to this dilema, I heard a few events might only be two day events: Saturday/ Sunday. That means even a tighter margin for error.

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Don't crash and don't blow shit up. If you can't be prepared to throw the whole bike in the dumpster, don't go racing. It doesn't take an army - just two good guys. Make the weekend shorter - that only helps those who are prepared. I'm all for it.

9. punkadilly

punkadilly Well-Known Member

Here's my question ... for those who run WERA & AMA in 2014, would WERA make an exception & allow green/red/etc plates to run in expert?

For those already working on budget, knowing how many sets of bodywork would be nice :)

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Red vinyl is cheap. :)

11. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Great plan, but we all know it doesn't always work out like that. I'm not sure how throwing a bike in the dumpster has anything to do with what I said. We also know that is a possibility at any race event or trackday.

12. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

we will be making red, white, and green numberplates

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I'm pretty sure you know I'm aware of that. If you're trying to make a series survive, you either work to cut costs or you don't. There are drawbacks. I don't look forward to a first lap crash that puts us out of the race, but there's the same possibility for all. Club racers/privateers who want to participate should embrace these changes rather than question the possibilities of failure.

Cutting costs is only one step. The show must get better.

14. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I totally agree! :up:

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do you have a rough idea of how much it would save you in operating costs (as a percentage, not looking for a specific dollar amount)?

Is it enough to makeup for the consequences (financial or otherwise) of driving to California and not being able to race because the bike broke on the sighting lap? I know you said too bad if your shit breaks, but it's not always your fault.

16. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

You must have some high dollar lobbyists working for you to get that rule added into the book this season. :D

-steve

17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Rough idea? 25% less on initial investment of bikes, parts, warmers, etc. Operating costs at the racetrack maybe 10-15% less. Not huge, but enough to help. I'm guessing - I haven't spreadsheeted it.

Purse money isn't enough now to break the bank if you suffer a DNF. Money is already spent on personnel and travel. You might actually save a few bucks on tires and race fuel. If you had a bonus agreement with a sponsor, it might have more effect. All in all, I would say it wouldn't be financially detrimental, but it might affect your championship chase. That would be the same if the track was in your backyard.

18. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You think the could have chosen less "clashing" colors for the numberplates? I get that the point of them is to be instantly distinct and easy to recognize, but, visually, forcing a "red" team to use a green numberplate or a "blue" team to use a red numberplate isn't aesthetically pleasing.

I think relaxing the qualifying and cut off percentages is a step in the wrong direction.

And in regards to the DSB and SS electronics rule, it seems like there might be some interpretation involved when it comes to motorcycles that come equipped with wheel speed sensors from the factory and how they can be used with a piggyback or interference box. The seven inputs they state are legal for data acquisition only are "lambda, engine RPM, throttle position, water temperature, front suspension stroke, rear suspension stroke and brake pressure" but they have to be passive as I read it. Data only. That leaves quite a bit of wiggle room for a creative team with the right bike, no?

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn, it just hit me that I've been thinking about this ass backwards. In my mind, I was making the go/no go (to California) decision based on the advanced knowledge that the bike would break. Please carry on. :D

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Rick, weird question: would you still build a second bike and leave it in the shop or just the single bike that you haul to the races?