V2

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by bne5004, Nov 3, 2013.

1. bne5004

bne5004 pens fan

Out of curiosity... I was reading the rule book and V2 has listed Pre 1974 2-stroke singles up to 500cc. What bike would this be exactly? Just kinda looking for something interesting to race in V2 if some of my buddies get into the class.

2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Yamaha MX360, Kawasaki Big Horn, . . . I'm not sure what else might qualify as I'm not a 2 stroke guy. Why go the smoker route? 4 strokes rule that class . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

3. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

Ahem...Paul Garland just won that championship on a two stroke rd250 FYI

4. bne5004

bne5004 pens fan

Just looking for something that sounds mean and blows smoke

5. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

I know where there is an MX360 motor in an RD frame. Rubber motor mounts etc. done right. This is a championship capable bike.

E-mail or text me. (Ignore the 4-stroke detractor)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  6. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Well...that would be a BSA! :D

7. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Yeah, . . . well . . . that's immediately before it goes silent and covers everything with oil.

Cheers,

Dave

8. Moore007

Moore007 Well-Known Member

Sounds more like a " Bowie " to me........:beer:

9. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

Yamaha SC500?

10. bne5004

bne5004 pens fan

The sc500 is about what I had in mind. Anything similar to make searching a little more productive.

Looking for something bigger. Though the rubber mounting would be good cus u hear they tend to break frames

11. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

The SC500 is a poor choice for a road racer, basically the same bottom end as the 360 with a massive overbore. The 360 makes MORE than enough power to rule the class, in fact it needs a rev limiter or a disciplined throttle hand to live.

12. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

CB 350 All the way- can bump DOWN into the V1 class as well.

13. bne5004

bne5004 pens fan

I've read about the issues with the bike. Theirs a few moto crosser threads that gives fixes for most of the bikes problems. Shattered pistons, lack of low end power, the counter balancer, etc. I'm still not set on it but it's good to know people are able to get these bikes goin. I'd like to find so e similar alternatives tho.

14. charles

charles The Transporter

I believe Kawasaki made some two-stroke singles back in the early 70's….most likely none of those around these days…a bored and stroked BSA Racing Bantam might be the ticket.

15. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you could bore and stroke a Bantam enough to make the mail carrier bike competitive . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

16. charles

charles The Transporter

so right, Dave, so right…but a well-prepped BSA Racing Bantam might suprise you with its ability…

Now then, doing some research, a GREEVES 'SILVERSTONE ROADRACER' would be the ticket in V1..IoM history, first British 250cc machine to lap over 87 mph back in the day…then you could mount up on a COTTON 'TELSTAR' should you locate one, or sit youself on a DMW 'HORNET' to blast through the flotsam in V1 on your way to moto-greatness, or, a VILLIERS STARMAKER SPECIAL…all day, all the way, on 2-Stroke power and finesse from the good old days.
    Oh, I almost forgot…there are the BULTACO and MONTESSA racers, too..some can be found in the U.S.

not competitive?

17. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Having been heavily involved with the Bantam Club in the UK during the 70's and 80's I can attest to the surprising performance of some of those bikes. Several were clocked at over 100mph and I've seen more than one give the modern, at the time, 125's a beating on some of the shorter tracks, not bad for a bike limited to 3 speeds. All the other British and Spanish 2-strokes mentioned are legal for 250GP (does it still exist?) and 350GP.

18. charles

charles The Transporter

When I was at Mallory, I heard during a conversation that several Bantams put in very respectable lap times there…I understand there are 4 speed trans now available…it appears that 250 GP is in the Rulebook, existing, as it were, in print.

Did you pilot a Bantam? It was my first bike when I was about 10 yrs old,, and for some now forgotten reason, I thought it best to remove the peculiar looking muffler and run a straight pipe. Various neighbors threatened me with great bodily harm, as they apparently were unable to appreciate the finer points of a 2-stroke.

19. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Sane, rational, logical, reasonable folk ALL have difficulty understanding and appreciating the finer points of 2 strokes . . . . I'll refrain from elaborating further.

Cheers,

Dave

20. charles

charles The Transporter

Now now Dave, surely a man who understands the Rule against Perpetuities would grasp the essentials of the 2-stroker!