1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: Aim Solo GPS Lap Timer

Discussion in 'General' started by socal, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Personally, I didn't like the Starlane at all. If anybody wants one, check the dumpsters around Barber. :crackup:

In all fairness, this was a few years ago and I hear they have gotten better. But it was way to "busy", not user friendly and way complicated. I want to put it on the bike, press "ON" and go. Trying to get that thing to work was like trying to launch a space shuttle.

It looked cool and had lots of flashy lights and stuff. I wanted it to work because of how it looked. But it just pissed me off.

2. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

I've got a deal you CANNOT pass up!!

I've made a tach customized for your SV. It will cost you $10 payable thru PayPal + fees.

(Its a piece of camo duct tape with a red "0" on it)

3. KK352

KK352 Well-Known Member

I just got mine last month, and still playing with it.
    Used it during pract at Fontana this past weekend as well, and it was def a great investment.

Now one of these days I'll get a lap top so I can fully utilize it at the track :crackup:

I like the cool factor of showing your max speed - it def explained why half my hair was getting ripped out trying to comb it the next day :cool:

4. I keep saying im going to plug mine into the laptop, i am yet to do it even once. I will go back and review the laps, check out differences in average speed, overall speed, watch the little cursor go around and compare speeds/segments times etc. But i have never put it on the laptop.

During race weekends, i have little time for anything other than getting ready for my next race. And then when i get home, i forget.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I may have to shift my focus from the XT. The AIM does exactly what I need it for right now. I don't need to know how much brake pressure I'm applying at 50 degrees of lean angle or how fast the fork oil is passing through the valves. All I want to know is how long it takes me to get around the track compared to the last time and to be able to save that information for later. It's also $200 cheaper :D

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You might go faster if you slow down.

7. [​IMG]

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Sounds like he's offering to build you a motor for free.

9. Or maybe develop the Ape for me. :D

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What I'm saying is that you have some data. If you take a moment and look it over while its free in your head, you might find places you can improve. This might mean you have to skip doing every damn session (hence the slow down bit) but in the end you'll be better for it.

Bitch. :crackup:

11. :crackup:

Believe it or not, I do study data. I have a "track worksheet" that I keep track of. I can go back right now and tell you the weather conditions, ambient temps, tires, compound, air pressure, suspension settings (beginning of the weekend, changes made and final numbers), gearing, fuel used (type and liters used per lap), lap times, top speed, average speed etc for any track day or race over the past 2 years.

...for every bike.

And that is just base data. I also have a complete breakdown of a lap "enter the braking zone for T1 in 4th gear, start braking at the __ and downshift to 3rd, turn-in at the ____ spot, trail off the brakes and clip the curbing at about the _____, the get on the gas and let it push me out to the edge, then start working my way back to the....". I go into detail for an entire lap. I know what gears im in everywhere, all my braking markers, etc.

Then I make notes for stuff i want to think about the next time "when entering the first chicane, try running a line that puts me close to the....." or "maybe try going down a tooth on the rear sprocket so I can carry 3rd gear through...." etc.

I ALWAYS take 5min to "debrief" after every race. If my buddy/coach is there, he will take the notes and ask questions and make suggestions. Or Lora will write it all as I talk (I hate writing stuff).

I know what you are getting at and I agree with you. I think it is very important. If nothing else, it gives me a starting point for the next time so I don't spend 1-2 practice sessions trying to re-figure things out.

Bitch. :D

12. But with that being said, the best part is the riding. I would rather ride every session/race and just gather/study data as I can. Im not going to skip a race just for the sake of having extra time.

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I wouldn't know anything about it.

[​IMG]

It's nice information to have. I don't go over it until the end of the day at the Hotel and pick out things I want to work on.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  14. dav612

dav612 Well-Known Member

I hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries, but I just wanted to let you guys know... Based on input from current and future customers, we (XT Racing) have developed a version of the GPX that is budget conscious. It is loaded with the same features as the GPX Pro but without the data inputs. It is called the GPX Zed. Automatic GPS track mapping, speeds, split times, accelerations and use of XT Studio. If your looking for a GPS laptimer but dont need all of the data inputs, this is for you. Available at a great price... Just trying to keep up with our customers wants and needs.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

$$$?

16. dav612

dav612 Well-Known Member

I didn't really want to post the price on here as I'm not sure what is allowed. I figured you could do a quick google search to find the price. Our dealers generally sell it cheaper than MSRP.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Ok. I found it at a few places. I went to the XT site and the "buy it" button isn't working so I thought maybe it wasn't available yet.

18. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

very very cool, David! :up:

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I can tell you that I've had my GPX Pro since 2009 and the people at XT have bbeen MORE than helpful even when I've screwed the thing up! I have recommended 3 friends to purchase theirs and they are also happy as can be with them.

Heck I think they even offer a trade in if you want to upgrade the one you have.

20. CNI Dawg

CNI Dawg Well-Known Member

Anybody got a pic of the XT GPX Zed mounted on a bike?
    Want to see the size & if it clutters the instrument cluster area

I'd rather buy from an American company if possible !

TIA