1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proposed/Hypothetical 2014 WERA National Sprint Series Schedule

Discussion in 'General' started by ekraft84, Oct 1, 2013.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

1. Roebling *OR* Tally *OR* NOLA (Pick one), March/April
    2. Road Atlanta (Cycle Jam), June
    3. Grattan Raceway, July
    4. Mid-Ohio, July
    5. VIR, August
    6. Pittsburgh International, September
    7. Barber (GNF), October

All combined w/regional events for the most part.

Tell me how awful of an idea this is, as a concept for what the National Series should be - and/or how to make it viable/more successful in current economic conditions, etc. etc.

2. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

terrible...burn him at the stake

proceed

:)

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Mid-Ohio has a minimum age limit that would eliminate several young championship contenders.

4. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

I love that idea of some Nationals up North. I would love to see a track or two from up north on the National schedule. I really like the competition and the exposure of the National events. Other than Roebling (since I have all winter to save up) I just can't justify the cost of gas and the drive time of 8+ hours to make it to one of the National events that is currently on the schedule.

5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Roebling March

Barber May

Road Atl June

Mid Ohio July

VIR August

Pittsburgh September

Barber October GNF

Endurance on Friday, regional on Saturday and Nationals on Sunday. Make it a twin sprint weekend by having the regionals count as national points, then have the Nationals on Sunday count as regional points. Racers chasing regional points would most likely enter the national races on Sunday.

6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having one a month and spreading them out around the country a bit. Road America would be cool to see on there as would be NOLA. I would skip Pitt unless they build the new section of track and we could run on the long track.

7. ped

ped Banned

you forgot Nelson Ledges!

why no road america?

8. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

^Has WERA ever gone to Road America?

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The idea is combined National/regional's - not on separate days, to maximize attendance - similar to what's done today.

WERA doesn't go to Road America. I based this on the current schedule, how regions are setup, etc. No Nelson on my made-up schedule. As much as I like the place, I don't think we'll go there next year for a regional - attendance is poor at that event, due to the facility falling apart, unfortunately.

Also w/PIRC, have a National there next year to get people going and building interest, so when the new track is available in 2015 (along with the repave of the existing course), it gets strong numbers (as I'm sure the track rental will then go up). That place is putting more money and effort into things than most any other track, and the track gets a pretty good following as it is, for regional events.

Stymie - I agree with you. Having a southern event in March makes it easier though, like you said. Having another one at the end of the year at Barber, makes it easier. Road Atlanta and VIR are tougher and longer drives, but they're at good facilities - and spread out each month with some northern tracks in between, would make it more viable for those wanting to chase the National Series.

10. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

February: NOLA

March: Vegas

April: COTA

June: Road Atlanta

July: Grattan

August: Mid Ohio

September: PIRC

October: Barber GNF

11. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Miller?

I've always thought Fontana should be included on the National schedule as well.

12. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

How does the National setup work with east and west coast events? This schedule looks awesome for most East of the Mississippi for sure but do not want to short sight the fact of it being a national series the western US has to be accounted for. I'd imagine there are some teams/riders that are not willing to make multiple 2+ day treks to a far race. - I'd almost think the National series could be split into east/west with a showdown similar to the GNF too, which would sorta make national in to a dual region so to speak.

13. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

My made-up proposal isn't about adding new venues or tracks (added risk to WERA), but rather taking events on the current schedule and stretching the National Series *a little* like it used to be, with events that are currently on the regional schedules - without it being a SE schedule primarily (which I understand it being, given the circumstances).

It's a long-shot/crapshoot, but the idea also being that if the local Northern, Eastern or Southern guy/gal can do half the schedule, along with having the events spread out - they might justify going to a few more that are further away.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

AMA seems to have forgotten about the west coast, and WERA nationals have too. I think I would do the same thing if I were WERA. With $4-5 a gallon fuel, it's too expensive for WERA's core base of eastern customers to come all the way out here, just like it's too much for the majority of us to go out there. That's where the European countries have a nice setup. BSB covers a very small amount of land mass, Spanish CIV, Italian, German, etc.

Calling it a national series is kinda like calling baseball the World Series.

16. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

NOLA wont get an endurace race until they redesign pit in to avoid the columns of that canopy structure.
    its the reason we get time penalties rather than ride thrus at that track.

17. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I agree...that looks like an East Coast series and not a National series.

18. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

I love the idea of the "National Series" becoming the East Side Series. Adding a couple of Northern rounds would incent some of us (me) to make a few trips down south for the right events and points.

If we are going full on crazy talk (COTA etc.), let's seperate the National Series from the Endurance Series. Keep one of the proposed schedules above for National. Pracitce Friday, double header Sat/ Sun National and Regional points both days.

Move the Endurance to SE Regional (that's where all the endurance teams are anyway right?). Do the Endurance races Saturday instead of Solo's. Offer a "mini endurance" to fill grids and give additional practice (all a solo is anyway) to the sprinters. The mini could be 45 min or something, single rider. You should still have a chance to squeeze in a couple vintage races before or after to keep those guys happy.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I like it all other than PIRC until the new track is done. And in all reality it's more a reaction to wanting the new track than thinking the current has any problems. There is also an issue with not having a July date at Grattan :) It was and probably will be in August, which makes it kind of tough doing Mid-O, to VIR a couple weeks later to Grattan a week later.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Working on that and do we have any currently under 14? That's what we were able to get the age to for 2013 for our NC regional.