1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well... I guess I'm f*cked

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackStar, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Ed Sorbo

Ed Sorbo Well-Known Member

Please add me to the list of people who think 12 is too early for this.

2. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

FWIW - having watched young Mr. Rees the last coupla three years and knowing the parties involved, I would say that absent first-hand knowledge of the situation, I'd agree with the thought that a 12 y.o. on an R6 sounds sketchy.

Gage turns some of the most consistent laps of anyone in the local scene. He has better skills and riding maturity than many twice his age. He'll be scary good in a couple of years the way he is progressing -

I do get slightly pissed when the 12 y.o. blows by me though (not really - I'm actually kinda proud of him). He'll be fine.

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

So is my 2.5 year old to young to ride his jr50 that he cant touch while on it?:rolleyes:

4. rick burdick

rick burdick Rick122

Add me too.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I don't race, so you can disregard this if you want, but I've spent a lot of time watching people crash, and kids moving up to bigger bikes too soon scares me.
    Quite a few of them get real fast, real quick, so they are running with much more experienced riders. Unfortunately, they don't have the experience to avoid a lot of crashes that the experienced guys do. They're a lot more apt to join a crasher than avoid them.
    Just my observation.

6. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Totally different scenario...not even close.

7. assjuice cyrus

Depends. If the parent of the child feels that his or her child can do something in a safe manner and not put him/her or others in any unseen danger then really its not a whole lot of difference.

Isnt there kids riding flat track on big bikes around the same age?

Tdub, also know I am not trying to argue just make conversation. I know you have far more experience with young ones and are very well known in the bike world, and have nothing respect for you.

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Every kid is different. Stay on top of the situation, and do what you think is right. Don't push the kid outside of HIS comfort zone.

Way cool!!!

9. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

ya get a hard on and root chicks at 12, why not stretch cables also!!!! Good on ya man

10. borgy

borgy Well-Known Member

Pretty cool to see what some of these youngsters can do on these machines. We have a 12-13 yr old up here in the CRA that completely dominated the MW novice class all weekend up until his last race where he crashed out. Did he crash because of his age or lack of experience??? Who knows, but it is pretty amazing to watch the youngins come out and get involved in the sport.

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am not sure what the big deal is here. If it was me I would be way more concerned about the dork novice on a 1000 screwing up than a fast kid on a 600.

12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My concern with smaller kids on bigger bikes is not skill or mental capabilities, but simple lack of physical strength when the heavier bike gets out of shape. I had to think a bit before I even let my kid on an ESS bike for this reason. I am sure that Trackstar is well aware of what his boy can handle.

13. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

14. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

My comment on the line about being "conservative" obviously derailed this thread. Apologies to all.

This is America. Parents are free to make their own decisions regarding what is right for their kid, based on knowing the kid's capabilities and making their own risk-benefit analysis. It's really the business of the involved parents and the involved provider of track time, and nobody else. If they wanted advice, they would have asked.

I have nothing but best wishes to Track Star and Track Star Jr.

15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Hahhaha!!!!! I love it.

16. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Its awesome the kid is having fun and clearly is talented.

But how many extremely succesfull racers, talent developers and team owners have to tell you its not a good idea for it to not be a good idea?

17. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Ohh and I wish my dad was as cool as you. :D

Cause my ass would definetly pick the R6. :crackup:

18. I had my anger at getting my ass kicked by Tyler at the wrong person. Tige gave that kid a challenge that Tyler completely owned in no time flat.

19. assjuice cyrus

Wheres the pics at homo?

20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Mr. Star, you were fucked the moment you put your kid on a motorcycle. :D
    I put my girl on an XR100 last year on a kart track and now she is talking about a CBR125, then a 250 for the big track that is being built. I am sure it is only a matter of time until the 600 talk starts. The only differerance is my girl started a little later. She is now 14.