1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Racer Good Bike?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Deery888, Jul 1, 2013.

1. newyorkredneck

newyorkredneck Well-Known Member

One more vote for the fzr. The best things I did to mine was r6 forks and flatsides. If you do get one, the 17" rear conversion is pretty much something you have to have now.

2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

If you want to race against other people an SV is the way to go. I started on an EX500 and while its a great bike I was lucky to have anyone to race against as the few 500's that did show up were experts. I did get a trophy almost every thine I raced tho. There seems to be a bit of a resurgence of 500's lately but there are always lots of SV riders of various skill levels to race with. E-class with 250's would be another good choice. Good luck and welcome to the fray.

3. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I'll throw in a vote for the EX. You can run in V5 and V6LW, and Clubman and the D classes (SS and SB, depending on the build) on Sunday.

A 1990 model will have 16 inch wheels and a rear drum brake so get a good deal on it because you'll want to upgrade them.

4. charles

charles The Transporter

2-Stroke.

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Steve at Speedwerks can make that lil 400 scream, SB SVs and Hawks will not be out motoring you... :D

Get the FZ, learn race craft on it stock, massage the suspension/etc as you can. When the time comes, get a built motor and really put a hurting on those other machines.

6. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Well then, it's settled. Metalhead has the last motorcycle and he's gonna sell it to you. You're a nice guy Mattelhead :beer:

7. theQman23

theQman23 Racer's Choice for TIRES

The bike that has won the NE/MA v7 middle and heavy championships for the last couple of years has been an FZR400/600. Between that bike with me riding it, and Shane's bike with Shane riding it, I don't recall anyone who's won a race with anything else in this (your) area for years now. Lance can bring his old zx6 out and play fast here and there when he wants to, but if you want the same platform that HAS, not COULD go fast time and time again reliably for the last few years it has definately been the FZR's......
    Not to turn this into a sales thread, but I know of 2 of these for sale in Ohio, One in Northern Maryland, and then of course I'm going over 40 class next year so mine is for sale too. PM me with your price range and mechanical experience level and I"ll steer you into a seller and bike setup that'll work for you.
    Above all else, WELCOME TO WERA VINTAGE RACING, WE ARE GLAD TO HAVE YOU!!!!!!

8. theQman23

theQman23 Racer's Choice for TIRES

This previous comment had much credibility when it said, "If you want to race against other people an SV is the way to go. I started on an EX500 and while its a great bike I was lucky to have anyone to race against as the few 500's that did show up were experts. I did get a trophy almost every thine I raced tho. There seems to be a bit of a resurgence of 500's lately but there are always lots of SV riders of various skill levels to race with. E-class with 250's would be another good choice. Good luck and welcome to the fray."...........
    however this isn't going to be true anymore. With my aging, (over 40 now) and Shane's desire to test his metal in modern supersport racing, the fastest two guys have discussed the issue and have decided that we are now going to leave the class. We stayed in the class long enough to bring other into it and resurrect it, but now that there are enough guys showing up and running, he and I are 99% sure we are going to step aside into other classes, specifically to allow the 3 Jim, the new Andrew, the other 2 new fzr people, and the honda twin guys a chance at the championships. With Shane and I gone the average winning lap time won't be 23's anymore it'll be 26's which is more than reachable for a second year new guy with a well sorted platform. To win on an SV you'd have to do the same lap times as a novice with 1/2 the cylinders. Though the poster had a point, after Shane and I duke out this last pair of championships (v7m and v7h) this point will no longer be valid and the next v7 champ will probably be a newer racer.

9. Deery888

Deery888 Well-Known Member

sorry guys cant get onto the forum at work a whole lot ha. loving the suggestions and i am going to be looking for an fzr 400. cant wait to get started :D

10. Deery888

i actually had a 250 previously with plans of turning it into a racebike but after regularly going to summit (my favorite track) and seeing year after year of only 1 or 2 ex250s in a weekend i decided to bag it and sell it and look into a better competitive bike.

11. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

i have a 250 as well,but when i saw that 2 guys at most race at summit i pulled from ESS,and just ran the fzr.kinda wish i would have ran the 250 anyways.i say go with an fzr400,then you can always upgrade the engine to the 600cc when you either blow up the 400 or want more power,whichevers cheaper,just do what YOU want to do.

12. Deery888

i bought the 250 when i was 14 and ESS racing was just coming up, becoming more competitive with larger grids in cali and southern states. i honestly thought that when i had it race ready there was going to be large grids up at summit. but over the past couple years going to summit as a spectator just not seeing any intrest in the 250 class especially after seeing 2 at the first race this year, i decided it just isnt going to catch on for some reason up north. so i sold the bike about 9 months ago :(

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I'm enjoying the process of taming an EX500. It's a horrid motorcycle, perfectly horrid. Love it. :D

How is parts availability for the FZR these days?

14. parillaguy

parillaguy vintage+GP racer

As a less than good mechanic and a long time racer...my advice to you is to realistically look at your ability to maintain any bike you chose to race. I race a two stroke because they are easy to work on. If you can't do more than change the oil on a 4 stroke, maybe one of them isn't for you. Just my 2 cents Parillaguy

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I had to get a bunch of small carb parts for my FZR before Tally this year and they were a piece of cake to find and not expensive at all (Thanks partzilla.com!).

But like parillaguy said, I gave up on the FZR because the RZ is so easy to work on. I could do basic stuff on the FZR but when it came time to get into the engine I was lost.

16. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That's what I like about the EX. Need engine work? Buy another engine on ebay or craigslist.

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I would steer clear of a first generation EX500. Look for 1994 or newer.

17" wheels and the transmission is sturdier.

My old EX500 is for sale for $1200. It's not in race trim, but it has clipons, shorter rear suspension links for better turn-in, and relocated rear sets. I am tempted to buy it back... The guy has it listed with 15,000 miles, and I swear it had close to that when I sold I to him.

But go to some local rounds before you buy anything. See what classes are popular. I would love to race a 500 or a 250, but there aren't many in my region.

Personally, I would look at a V7 bike, and then run C super stock as well.

18. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

Parts and bikes

Hey all,

I like this thread. It brings back LOTS of great memories for me, and glad to see a lot of you guys that I raced against are still in the game.

I have several FZR 400's still from when I raced them. I raced everything from almost totally stock FZR413 in Dss expert to Speedwerks built FZR460 in DSB, V6LW, and a little in F2.

I will take my SB to my grave, HOWEVER I do have LOTS of great chassis, engines and parts. I have a spare 460 that was built by Speedwerks that has literally one day on it. I have a clean roller with 17" TZ250, captive spacers, TZ rear caliper, BRAND new TZ250 / 3TJ sharkskinz, etc, etc, etc.

I plan on keeping my SB, and one full spares package, but I have enough stuff to set up a bike, and pares if some one is looking.

PM me if interested.

Thank you,

Rich

19. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Deery888-
    I raced against your dad in the late 90's. I was racing a blue RZ350 with yellow rims and a tz fairing. (#39) I can't remember his bike, but I remember the name and that it was a 400. I only raced Summit a few times back then and mostly stayed down south, so I don't think I raced him at summit....maybe IRP, RRR or Road A?

As for your debate:
    Any of the 3 bikes make a great platform to race on, but the cb350 makes the most sense. Not only is it the cheapest to run, but you would probably find the most competition and bigger grids too. If it were me, I'd be drawn to the 400 for purely emotional reasons, (because of your dad and also because they're just REALLY cool bikes!) but it would definitely be the most expensive of the 3 to run and would tie with the ex for the least amount of people in your class. The ex would be close to the cb in cost of running, but clubman has been a ghost town lately and d-super/lightweight twins on a stock-ish ex would be humiliating.
    If your goal is to go out there and race every weekend in a class with a lot of competition, go with the cb. They're cheap, easy to work on and there are a ton of people running them that can help you out as you hone your race craft. You can always upgrade to a different bike at any time after you get a season or two under your belt on the cb.

Mark Morrow

20. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

The EX can run more races... DSS,DSB,LWTSS,LWTSB,F2,Clubman,V6LW.... But as mentioned, the pre "94 models had 16" wheels....lame as shit. The FZR600 is a fun bike as well. IMHO look into the tracks that you plan on running and race with the bigger packs. The more racers you have, the more fun you will have.

Welcome to WERA