1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycling and IT bands???

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I did a hilly 27 miles today. Normally that's no big deal. Today, however, my IT's constricted on the last two miles to the point where it was miserable. I can't even sit because if I'm still for too long, they tighten back up and it hurts.

Do I need to raise the saddle? Any stretches? Did the two bottles of vino the night before contribute to this? What's going on?

2. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Foam roller and it band stretch. Cross one leg behind other, then turn to side of leg in front and try to touch ankle bone with hands on that side. It will pull the IT band on that side on the crossed leg and stretch it.

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

+1 on the foam rollers. A massage also helps.

4. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Foam roller, Biofreeze and booze seems to help.

5. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Saddle height is critical,don't fck it up too low or high, generally too low does your knees high does your hips. Here's some hip stretching I borrowed from a runners site for tight itb, the hip hike is good. I think tight hips can also indicate weak glutes and back muscles but someone who knows might comment on that.

Lateral Leg Raises: lie on your right side with a theraband around your ankles. Lift your left leg to about 45 degrees in a controlled manner, then lower. I do 30 reps per side.
    Clam Shells: lie on your right side with your knees together and a theraband around your lower thighs. Your thighs should be about 45 degrees from your body and your knees bent at 90 degrees. Open your legs like a clam shell but don’t move your pelvis – the motion should not rock your torso or pelvic girdle. Keep it slow and controlled. I do 30 reps on each leg.
    Hip Thrusts: lie on your back with your weight on your upper back your feet. Your legs will be bent at the knee. Lift one leg so your weight is all on one leg and your back. Lower your butt almost to the ground and thrust upward by activating your glutes. This exercise is great for glute strength and hip stability. I do 25 reps on each leg.
    Side-Steps / Shuffle: with a theraband around your ankles and knees slightly bent, take ten steps laterally. The band should be tight enough so it provides constant resistance during all steps. Still facing the same direction, take another 10 steps back to your starting position. That is one set. I like to do 5 sets. This exercise will look like a slow-motion version of a basketball “defense” drill.
    Pistol Squats: These are simply one-legged squats. The key to a successful pistol squat is to not lean forward, keep the motion slow and controlled, and make sure your knee does not collapse inward.
    Hip Hikes: Stand on your right foot. With your pelvis in a neutral position, drop the left side so it is several inches below the right side of your pelvic bone. Activate your right hip muscle and lift your left side back to its neutral position. I do 20 reps per side.
    Iron Cross: This dynamic stretch will help you feel loose after the previous strength exercises. Lie on your back with your arms out to your sides and swing your right leg over your torso and up to your left hand. Repeat with your left leg and do 20 reps in total.

6. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

I had ITB problems while running, but never on a cycle. Nothing but time ever fixed mine. Stretch and let it heal up.

7. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

get professionally fitted. i recently got this done and am very happy with it. pain on my knee went away and understand cycling much more on how the body works. its kinda like suspension setting...couple clicks here and there makes a difference but knowing what to click.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Tight IT bands are no fun :( foam roller definitely help, and do hip strengthening exercises like RichB has above. It pretty much made me stop cycling along with having FAI, which I'm getting looked now.