1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve adjustment question.....

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rd49, Apr 7, 2013.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

on a 2003 GSX-R 750. Does the motor need to be removed to do this? It appears the cam gears are directly behind the frame spar.

Thanks.

2. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Can the cam gears be removed from the cams for the cams to be removed. This is normal service it should not need to be removed from the frame.

3. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Zip tie the cam chain to the sprockets, as long as your chain doesn't come off the crank your timing wont get messed up and you can just move the cams out of the way. I've never removed a motor to do a clearance check/adjustment but I'm sure someone that someone with much more experience and knowledge will chime in.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  4. Twissta

Twissta Well-Known Member

No you do not have too remove the motor, however you will have to drop the radiator down, remove your air box, coils out of the way. take y0our time and remove the valve cover, take your time removing the cam covers as well, you don't want to strip bolts/threads/in/out etc.. by being to hasty. once you have that done write down everything you do, if it's your first time doing it. also remove the cover (right side) covering the rotor just the middle one so that you can see the timing marks. then you want to remove the cam chain tensioner, zip tie it so it doesn't fall down in the motor headache to get it out if i t kinks. start your valve adjustment process.....have you done this before? if not get a manual it will help you, I usually do all the shims and put it back
    together done, for my race bikes I usually do them loose that way I don't have to check valves all the time say 1500-3000 miles depending how I am beating up the motor. hope this helps

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013