Race van's which one?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Houston hb, Sep 28, 2012.

1. lance89

lance89 Well-Known Member

I had a 97 F250 with 7.3 and this van would run circles around it. I like the way this 6.0 excelerates and pulls. It runs alot stronger than my 7.3.I've owned it 2 years and only put 10,000 miles on. I've had zero problems. Lance

2. lance89

ok if I drop the price to $6500 any intrest? Lance

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I'll trade you a scooter...:D

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

FWIW the van 6.0 is not the same engine as the truck 6.0. It's heat that kills the 6.0, and the van engine is detuned quite a bit so it never gets as hot, or has the problems that the trucks have/had.

5. lance89

yea thats what my diesel mechanic told me also. thanks Lance

6. Houston hb

Houston hb Well-Known Member

dammit xmas is coming so fast. Lance put me on a payment plain lol

7. trispdtrip

trispdtrip Poor, Fat, Slow Racer

So, since someone decided to relieve me of my race trailer I've been looking into getting a Van. Leaning towards an E250 or E350. How hard is loading a bike into one of these vans? I'm 6'2" so standing up in the van is not an option. Just curious if you guys a using the engine to get the bike in or pushing it up?
    Thanks!

8. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

My buddy and I push the bikes in using a folding ramp, entrance is low enough you can push it up. We have a neat hitch mounted step to make walking it in easier.

I'm about 6' and my friend is 6'-2", getting in and out is not really a problem. One time I wasn't paying attention and split my head pretty good but that was my fault.

9. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

I've had a e-350 with a 6.0 for a couple years now and don't know what I'd do without it. There is plenty of room to move around inside it, sleep, etc. I just use a non folding ramp ( I prefer the arc of this over a flat folding ramp) and don't help.It took a bit of practice to get super comfortable with loading stuff, but really just second nature now.

I probably have/put a bike in the back 300 days a year, have one trailer restraint and one standard wheel chock. We also have a 30' bumper pull enclosed trailer with extra height that we tow with the van. Totally capable to tow the trailer fully loaded, even in stock trim. Get's around 17-18 in town and 10-12 towing, depending on how late we're running. Works like a charm!

10. trispdtrip

Where are you guys finding your vans. I've been watching Craigslist and Fleebay, any other good places to look?

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

autotrader.com

12. trispdtrip

Yeah, I've looked there as well. Everything there seems high to me. I guess I'm being too picky.
    I need to find a cheaper hobby.

13. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

What's your price range? Chevy, Ford? Cargo or passenger van with intentions of gutting the rear interior/seats?

14. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

I had to fly to PA to pick up a van, everything on the West Coast was way more expensive :) Thanks to lance89

15. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

we have/use a 2012 Mercedes Sprinter 170" 2500, we haul 4 race bikes, 15+ pails race gas, stands, boxes spares, leathers, gear, ramp, (or even 2 full bike crates!) etc, etc...TONS of room in these things!! Plus easy to load! (one of my guys 5'4" and no issue loading bikes)

Best thing i bought for the shop outside of dyno ;)

We get as bad as 18mpg LOADED like above and driving at 80mph when i am driving up/over the pass (Or/Ca border) and as good as 26mpg when my guys drive cruising at 60mph flat. Typically 22-24mpg. Honestly, 1 year old now and 23,000 miles changed oil twice, rotated tires 3 times and thats IT! (i do want to add the rear sway kit)

I put in a back up camera (MUST DO!) and DVD/pandora/etc in dash but of course i can't say we have movies playing while its moving..

Plus i stole for only $39k new out the door and they DONT depreciate..we will never put the same miles on them as the delivery/typical sprinter owner does... and with new i got 5 year bumper to bumper warranty (huge when your using for a business!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013