'99 ZX7 tech question

Discussion in 'General' started by Thumper, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

My brother just got a '99 ZX7 to fix up and it won't shift past neutral. From N to 1st and back is fine but wont go to 2nd. Does this model have the positive neut. finder trans or does it have internal problems. When we get it running we can determin more but was told from the previous owner that the trans and top end was rebuilt when it was stored about a year ago and every thing worked fine. If anyone has info on this please let me know. Thanks.

2. DavidVargas77

DavidVargas77 New Member

I think that bike has a part in the gearbox that does not let you shift into 2nd unless the shaft is spinning, try putting the bike on a rear stand and spin the back wheel and at the same time moving the shifter into 2nd.

3. Tim McKinley

Tim McKinley Salty Member

Yes, that bike is designed to go into nuetral when there is not a load on the engine. If you don't have a rear stand try just rocking it back and forth while pulling up on the shift lever. It's difficult to shift into 2nd without a load but not impossible. I raced one (a 97) for quite a while and my buddy still does.

4. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to riding it almost as much as he is.

5. ddub

ddub Well-Known Member