1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: PC laptop v. ultrabook for son

Discussion in 'General' started by ttt637, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

I need to consult the beeb for help with a laptop or ultrabook for my son. He is 10 and I bought him THIS for Christmas as I felt the touchscreen and lack of DVD drive was a negative for the Ultrabook variety. He said he would prefer the touchscreen but I dont have experience with them other than the iPad's we have. I do prefer to do this type of business with Best Buy as they have always been good to us on everything from appliances to TV's and have bent over backwards several times. Question is.. is it worth it to do the touchscreen with windows 8 and is Samsung, HP, Lenovo, Acer, or Asus better to go with. Help appreciated in advance.

2. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

I like the touchscreen with win 8.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

From my limited knowledge the boards in them are all very much the same. Samsung is a good brand and I wouldn't hesitate to buy the one you linked. The touch screen in Win8 is nice and the lack of a DVD drive isn't a real issue to me. What do you think he'd use the DVD drive for?

Worst case you can spend another $50-$70 and get a USB DVD drive for those rare occasions.

4. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Ipad mini is the perfect size for a 10 year old. Bought them for my mom and sister, they love em. $330 from the apple store.

5. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

he uses it for school, and needs Office 2010 on it. I just dont know if the touchscreen is worth it or not for Win8

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I would not consider it a must have. While the start menu and the App store apps may be finger friendly all the underlying OS interface is not really designed with finger use in mind.

If you are buying an Ultrabook...pick one. They are all essentially the same with only minor spec differences.

7. carson

carson New Member

What's your budget limit?

8. carson

carson New Member

And you want get a touchscreen?

9. carson

carson New Member

ASUS VivoBook S400CA-DH51T
    14.1-Inch touchscreen
    Intel Core i5-3317U(1.7GHz )
    500GB 5400RPM+ 24GB SSD