1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to do in Washington DC.

Discussion in 'General' started by Sheik Abdul ben Falafel, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

going to DC. on business by myself for a week starting this monday.

What non touristy things are there to do? I have seen every monument, every national treasure a few time. Trying to stay off the beaten path this time.

Good places to grub?

thanks.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Since it isn't right there in Washington proper, have you been to Mt. Vernon? I went there a couple of years ago and it was well worth the short trip.

Also, I could spend years in all of the Smithsonians.

Have fun!

3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

4. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

oh ya...gota check out the smithsonian.

Thanks guys..I will check out mt vernon and I have heard about proof. I will most likely hit that up

5. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Buy John Boehner (A-NOTHER) drink.

6. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I do.
    every year.
    with my taxes.

7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

If you're a cigar guy (or, if you dont mind the smoke) check out Shelly's Back Room... AWESOME burgars and great bartends to shoot the $hit with.

http://www.shellysbackroom.com/

8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Get yourself a camera, a dark hoodie, dark glasses, and a ball cap, and walk around the Treasury building, repeatedly.

Pause frequently to take pictures of the building.

Stop random passersby and ask, "Kenneth. what is the frequency?"

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  9. If you are a beer drinker, go to Bier Baron Tavern. It's the successor to the storied Brickskeller, which had a claim to having the world's largest collection of different beers under one roof. Bier Baron isn't anywhere close in that regard, but it's better than just about anywhere else you'll find.

http://inlovewithbier.com

10. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Pretend you're the main character in a Dan Brown book and go one a DC Masonic conspiracy scavenger hunt.

12. This is a great suggestion. They decorate nicely for Christmas (12 trees, IIRC).

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Protest ... Just cuz. It can be anything. Make up signs against the fuzzy pink bunny and let 'er rip. It'll make for great stories.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

:D

[​IMG]

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Moon congress. :moon:

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Ben's is eh at best. A lot of hype, meh food.

Where you staying and what type of food (price wise) you want?

17. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I am staying at the Crowne plaza Hamilton.

Price doesnt bother me, but an option of cheap, and an option of pricey would be nice.

18. DamnYankee

DamnYankee Well-Known Member

There are lots of bars and restaurants on M Street and Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown. Or, check out the Old Ebbitt Grill on 15th Street near the Whitehouse. My favorite new music venue is in the basement of The Hamilton, across the street from the Willard Hotel at 14th and F Streets. And the bar/restaurant on the ground floor seems to have become the hot place to meet and greet after work.

19. RADAR Magnet

RADAR Magnet Member

Shellys is decent but the outdoor terrace at Mortons at Connecticut and L is better; they have it tented in with heaters this time of year.

I second this; Georgetown and the Hamilton are both great options; Ceiba is right near the Hamilton and is also very good.

Lastly, maybe take in A Christmas Carol at Ford's Theatre; even if you've seen the movie a million times it's a great way to experience it.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I used to live 3 or 4 block from there (up wisconsin from that corner). I like that area a lot. :)

Old Eddit used to be okay but their food is not all that great anymore (bland and boring). It is cool because of how old it is.

Here's Sam's suggestions:
    Zatinya - mediterranean
    Jaleo - tapias (spanish)
    Toki underground - ramen
    Old Europe - German. up wisconsin about 4 ~ 5 blocks from the corner of M. I like this place but Sam says it's "meh." Great beers!
    BLT steak - EXPENSIVE but great steaks and popovers.
    Politcal people watching? The Bombay club. Food is pretty darn okay.
    Go to the upstairs bars at W for drinks (and people watching). It overlooks the whitehouse.

Bars? No idea anymore.