1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I want to buy physical gold.

Discussion in 'General' started by Beer Slut, Nov 30, 2012.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

No, if the spreadsheet loses value the physical gold won't be worth mush either

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Again: where are Enron and Worldcom?

Those spreadsheets didn't "lose value", those spreadsheets "vanished".

Buying a mutual fund claiming "x" amount of gold certainly wouldn't set my mind at ease like in my hand having "x" amount of gold.

3. motox

motox 164

Dungeon bound

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Wow.... the retarded is strong in here tonight on both sides of the argument. Nothing new, it's the beeb.

OP... kitco.com sells gold and silver. It's marked up, if you go there, look at what they're offering to pay a given amount of gold/silver/platinum/palladium/rhodium/shitstormium vs what they're selling it for vs the latest spot price. I do not work for kitco, I have never bought from/sold to them. This is not an offer to buy/sell anything, not is it advice to do same. :D

And seriously.... anyone who ever tells you that they ""know"" the future price performance of any publicly traded equity/commodity/whatever is 100% full of shit. The last issue of Barron's magazine I had an article in had 2 words on the front page in ginormous font: BUY GM. Guess how that worked out. (should've know them fuckers were idiots for writing about me!!)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  5. Beer Slut

Beer Slut Well-Known Member

Wow. I just found this verbatim right here http://www.dailypaul.com/243383/5-r...be-worthless-after-the-collapse-of-the-dollar

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

7. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

The people quoting the negatives of owning gold are only thinking of the immediate use or lack off during the economic collapse. Yes, an ounce of gold would be hard to barter as nobody would be able to afford your asking price of two cows, three goats, the chicken flock and 1000 lbs of grain :crackup:

Sooner or later, the economy will come back in one form or another and bartering will stop being the only means of commerce. Who knows, maybe Pokemon cards will become the next currency, but in the end an institution will be setup that will trade whatever for precious metals.

I would be more concerned about the government in their death throes outlawing the mere peasants being able to purchase PM's. In Argentina they hid their value in the american dollar against the inflation. What did the gov do? Made owning US dollars illegal.

8. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Bottlecaps will be the future currency. :D (Might be a handful of folks in here that'll get that one.)

9. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Do you think the price of gold will continue going up? When the price tanks (which it will, probably sooner than you think) then you just lost money; a lot more than the 1% gain that doesn't keep up with inflation is losing.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Why do you think the price of gold will tank?

11. Beer Slut

I don't think it will keep going up. It might drop to $500 an oz. or less, but if the dollar fails then every bit of cash I have is toilet paper. History has proven that gold is always worth something, and I just can't believe that history won't repeat itself. To me, owning the physical gold is the lesser of evils. Why does it matter so much what I want to do with my money?

12. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

We're a little less objective than Google.

13. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Is physical gold leaner with higher karat rating than sedentary couch-potato gold?

14. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Dont worry about everyone elses opinion of what will be worth what during what ever event may occur. Do your thing. Wont everyone else feel stupid when gold is what everyone wants to trade.

Me, I think liquor will be the easiest thing to trade for daily necessities. Hiding a lot of it though will be tough.

auminer likes this.
  15. wrparrish

wrparrish Well-Known Member

Your going off of an assumption, or what you perceive to be correct. You are dead wrong on the above, during the fall of the Roman empire gold had no value. It had no value because the people were starving, and you couldnt eat gold. This has happened in other places as well.

Remove that idea from your mind, completely rid yourself of the notion of "gold will always be worth something". Then take another look at what your proposing. Seem's kind of stupid then doesnt it?

Rethink your plan. Beans and bullets are all you need. Whatever the currency of choice is, you can always "acquire" it. Hell my gameplan would be to lay low for the first couple of gnarly weeks, then ill assess the situation and put my unique skill set to work on killing folks like yourself who might have stockpiled what i need.

Assuming there will be barter and trade is a pretty noble gesture, i'd just kill you and take your women and possesions.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  16. Beer Slut

Can I assume you won't be taking my worthless gold?

17. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

Everybodys a former SEAL after the apocalypse :rolleyes:

18. wrparrish

wrparrish Well-Known Member

Pretty sure i posted what i do for a living here before in a different thread subject. Its not all that special, at least one other guy here is in the same line of work.

But if i wanted to kill either of you guys and run off with your women and "worthless gold", i might be successful.

So what's a good counter to that? I'd be alot more concerned with finding a community of like minded indviduals to resource share with, and establish a security bubble. If this place goes to shit it wont matter what you have as an individual. Everyone is vulnerable to random acts of extreme violence. Safe manageable group, leading to a community is the best. Its the way civilization works.

But this thread was just about buying gold, not disaster preparedness or anything. So ill pull the eject handle now.

Buy Gold OP, you never know who might need it someday.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  19. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

http://www.europacmetals.com/

Peter recommends 5 - 10% of your protfolio be in physical precious metals. When you buy you pay a percentage over the current (spot) price of gold. When you sell you are paid the spot price.

The trouble with the dollar is that they keep printing more of them. The more dollars that are printed and put into circulation, the overall value of the dollars already in circulation decreases. It isn't that the price of gold is going up, it the value of the dollar that is going down.

20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out