Suzuki SV650 EXPERTS- Crankshaft bearing HELP

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 12, Nov 12, 2012.

1. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

This. It's how the oil flows.

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Right, and because of groves on both side of bearing location of holes is irrelevant. As long there is hole in between it is one and the same chamber.

3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I wasn't disagreeing with the physics of the oil flow, I do know how that works. I don't think the indexing is about load, it's about the alignment of those holes. Other twins do similar things.

4. TWF2

You are forgetting one thing, probably forgot when you installed bearing. There is grove in cases just like there is grove on inside of bearing, all the way around.
    Picture I posted shows you bearing aligned properly and holes not matching. Holes not matching does not do anything to oil flow, there is no restriction. Now if the case on back side of bearing did not have grove all around you would have to align holes since that would be only path for oil.
    There is simply 6 holes in bearing evenly spaced around.
    It is for load and getting circle out of bearing, if you remember you have to squeeze it in order to press it in.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

No, I didn't forget. I have a case half with a bearing in my shop on the bench. My marks on a photo are a bit different than yours.

Why would clock position matter when you press a bearing in to an interference fit circular hole?

6. TWF2

Because bearing is not full circle when installed.
    Think about air hose you have in your shop, poke little hole in it and air will come out. It does not matter where you poke hole in that hose as long it is same size you will get same leak.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I understand the concept of interference fit and circles. Try pushing a Kawasaki ZX6 rod bearing into a rod. But that has nothing to do with the clocking.

8. TWF2

Look at bearing joint and you will see area (light gray on picture) about 5mm wide with joint in middle where there is no wear at all. I don't think they want that in load direction.
    Unless you can explain why my holes don't align we will disagree on them been reason.

Attached Files:

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Yes, and four cylinder bearings with no particular orientation do exactly the same thing- wear in the bearing center, less wear on the ends. Oil pressure on the top end, though, is not necessarily the same. You have not convinced me.

10. TWF2

What you mean no orientation on 4 cylinder? Cases split on half horizontally which is your orientation.

11. TWF2

Here is aprilia motor, same exact orientation in relation to cylinders.

Attached Files:

12. drybreak

drybreak Fuelish Boy

^^Compelling^^

You guys are the pros, I'm just a gearhead picking it up on my own as I go, but load concerns sure make sense to me, especially on singles and twins. Loads are obviously stronger on some parts of the bearing than at others, so it makes sense to orient the bearing joints where the loads are the lightest. This spreads the heaviest loads over the most continuous surface area, which would reduce bearing wear as well as stresses on the cases.

But I'm an electrician by trade. What do I know about loads? Hey, wait...

:D

13. TWF2

That makes two of us :)

14. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

easy..slip a dowel pin over the one rod bolt...align tab on the other side and just lightly push down, other side slides down the dowel and right into place. :)

as for the OP/SV Just get the SUZUKI tool and do it RIGHT! Or find a local shop that has it...Shit i have done many for racers wanting to do their own engines, even the other shops around here that dont have the tool..it takes 2 mins with it and its 100% proper. I dont even charge for it most the time, had the tool like 12+ years and works great.

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

That's actually in the manual. So, um, yeah.

16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

there's so much love in this thread..

17. madriders86

madriders86 Well-Known Member

You could at least try!
    Trying to learn something here.

18. TWF2

It is coded message