1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaphoid surgery

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, Oct 31, 2012.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

[​IMG]

I'm gettin screwed :mad: Another three months, minimum I'm told, in a cast - assuming this thing doesn't go all Anne Roberts on me (am skurred). Knocks Fontana and possibly the first Vegas round out of the realm of possibility, which may end up threatening my eligibility for the 2013 TT.

Not cool, scaphoid. Not cool.

2. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

I'm sorry dude. I thought you knew if you used that much astro-glide your hand would slip off and smash the headboard!

Get second and even third opinions. Make sure you know exactly what the doctor is planning on doing other than "operate".

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

He explained it pretty well. We tried the "cast it and let it heal" option first, that's why we're only now looking at surgery (this is still from my crash at this year's TT). Had a CT done on Monday that showed that the bone has pretty much just sealed itself up on both sides of the fracture, without any actual rejoining taking place. In order to move forward they need to go in, scrape off the scar tissue on the fracture faces, and then fix them together with the screw.

4. KK352

KK352 Well-Known Member

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! I too have a ridiculously difficult time holding still for very long =/

5. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

problem with the scaphoid is that you have to listen to them or else have problems for ever (assuming you have a doctor that knows what the hell he's talking about)

6. Huey130

Oh is that all? Get a second opinion.
    Have another doctor look at what this doctor wants to do and see if they concur. What about wire with the screw? How's blood flow to the piece? How long, deep will the screw be? Will there be any bone material added? Etc...

You only have one GOOD chance at this. After that your odds of success diminish.

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

8. Huey130

We're not Doctors you rahtard! Go to a real one! Hahahaha
    (THat does look horrible).

9. gpstar748

Rub some poo on it. That might help

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tussin.

11. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Hooey always lookin out :beer: I will find all this out, and get a 2nd. This guy came pretty highly recommended by all the local racers I know, but you're right, I don't wanna be going through what you guys just did.

Blood flow is the main thing the doctor was concerned about, regarding healing. Apparently (I'm sure you know now) there's only one artery that supplies the scaphoid, and it runs right through the middle - so if the bone breaks, the blood supply is severed as well. If you look at the above pictures, he pointed out the proximal end (bottom end in the facing-palm picture) as whitish due to having died, but that the rest of the scaphoid is still alive and viable.

I didn't ask specifics about the screw but did have him describe and show on my hand where he'd be cutting and what he'd be doing etc. There will be a bone graft from my radius to get the scaphoid healing back on track.

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Sucks. Are you gonna use Dr. Sun?

13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yes, he's who I've been going to so far.

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Looking at your mri I'm trying to figure out how I split up my radius bone like I did without hurting the scaphoid.

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Didn't Elena have her scaphoid pinned earlier this year?

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

The universal fix. :)

Sorry you are still out, Chris. Good luck with the surgery.

17. MikeM1

MikeM1 Well-Known Member

He did great screwing mine back together! :up:

18. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

My right scaphoid is screwed together as a result of a very unfortunate pogo stick disaster. I opted out of the long term cast so I could race. I did a "trial" track day at Road A against the Dr.'s orders and it hurt like a mofo braking down the hill. I mean BAD!

I now have severe arthritis in that hand/wrist area. Cold fronts make it worse. I don't know if that's from the surgery or me being a dumbass with it prematurely.

Take care of it and listen to the doc.

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Good.

20. gpstar748

I still think you got off pretty good considering where you went down..... :)