1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing a racer resume...?

Discussion in 'General' started by kanatuna, Nov 30, 2011.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

more like 75% fucker :D

2. Brendin87

Brendin87 Member

I would really like to see some of the drafts/examples of what you guys have drawn up. I've been reading a lot on this and kind of have an idea of what to do, but an example to fallow would be great!!

3. Held USA

Held USA Active Member

spell check ? sorry ;)

4. Studio Rhoad

Studio Rhoad New Member

Although most of the tips listed here are useful, they are based on the assumption that they will even be seen by the point of contact at said companies. Even very small companies who are involved in racing receive well over 60,000 sponsorship proposals each year. That means you have only 3.4 seconds to get their attention! That's it. So if every one of you guys are doing the exact same thing (email and/or PDF) what makes you think it'll be noticed. Chances are it wont. It'll end up in a large pile on the POC's desk. Further more, large companies receive 150,000 proposals A DAY! You know how they decide which one gets looked at? They close their eyes and pick randomly. Figuratively speaking of course, but that is how one particular marketing director chooses.

Rethink what you guys are doing and saying. Don't be the paper in the stack, be the paper weight on the stack.

And for the love of everything holy, NEVER do this:
    [​IMG]

Just to clarify, I mean no disrespect above. Time and time again I see racers struggling to get what they need only to fall in-line with what everyone else is doing. Don't be "sheep". Maintain the core tips listed in this thread, then use them to not only think but act outside of the box.

Example: This is my resume which is built in a kart tire. It doubles as a sponsorship proposal when needed:
    [​IMG]

5. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Thats pretty cool man. Great strategy.

I finally "finished" my resume... I know a few places I would like to send my resume to inquire but how do I find out exactly WHO to send it to? I have searched a few sites and haven't found much.

6. Studio Rhoad

Studio Rhoad New Member

One possible solution:
    If the company has a social media outlet (Twitter/Facebook) ask them who the head of marketing and/or Human Resources is. Chances are they won't provide you with an email addy or phone number which isn't a problem. Snail Mail your proposal to them with ATTN: John Smith (or who ever the HR contact is they gave you). Of course, you could call them as well. The information is out there, you just have to dig.

Additionally, too many people apply for sponsorship simply because they need a new part or service. Although it certainly doesn't hurt to receive help for something you need, but try not to pigeon-hole yourself. As a sponsored driver/rider, you effectively become a salesmen for that company. So try to find out what the company's objectives and goals are for the upcoming season. Base your proposal and strategy around that.

7. acwhite84

acwhite84 Well-Known Member

8. kanatuna

Sent. Good luck.

9. acwhite84

acwhite84 Well-Known Member

Got it thanks tuna and congrats on your new sponsor!

10. kanatuna

No problem...and thanks man! :)

11. Think of it as a relationship, a partnership, not a sponsorship. It is a situation where you can help each other. The "gimmie free shit and I will put your sticker on my bike" approach isn't going to work. It is something that takes constant effort, online and off.

I understand everyone's situation isn't the same. But I know my sponsors by name, I have hung out with them, we are friends and I talk with them on a daily basis.

DiSalvo and I have emailed back and forth like 6-7 times just today. I speak with Brian Van and Eddie Kraft pretty much on a daily basis also. You should be in constant communication with them, let them know what you have going on, your plans, etc...and just as, if not more important, get input and advice from them.

Take the time to listen to them and learn from them. Chances are they have been around this sport much longer than you have. They can probably offer you a lot more than just free stuff. I have learned so much from people like Van, Eddie and DiSalvo in the past year and to me, that is 10x more valuable than getting free parts or whatever else.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  12. Found this website with some examples of a style. How does this look towards a potential sponsor. I'm sure what I would use and what Davie would use are two different things.

Look like some good single page examples:

http://www.gloryhog.com/resume-sample.html

13. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

:crackup:

14. McGixxer

McGixxer Well-Known Member

Hey guys, being new to all this, would someone mind sending me one of theirs too?

[email protected]

15. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

One thing that I'm really impressed with Joe is that for every single race weekend he does, he types of a race report and puts it up on his site, within a few days of the race usually. Then he'll hit us all up with a link to it.

16. jay956

jay956 Well-Known Member

That time of year again, great tips in this thread. If anyone would be gracious enough to send me a copy of their resume I would greatly appreciate it. [email protected]

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I could send you a copy of mine... but... well... it needs serious help. :D

18. kanatuna

I'll locate mine and send it to ya.

19. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

:bow:

Yes! We dedicate a lot of time to Press Releases, and using our website and FB to get the word out. Make sure you have some type of analytics to show your sponsors how much traffic you have on your site.

For Example, this year we can show were our tech articles, press releases, and pictures were accessed over 100,000 times...just from our website.

Make sure you work out with your photographer a "season package", because this sport is conducive to photos. ALSO, make sure you brand "all photos". Driving traffic and so forth is good, but if the sponsors branding isn't on there it does not do a lot of good. Example: http://www.rpsraceteam.com/Multimedia/PhotoSets/10_6_2012_NOLA-AMA/Photo_Start.htm

Lastly, credit anyone and everyone that does something for you. It builds relationships that may turn out to be long term and rewarding.

20. speedracer170

speedracer170 Well-Known Member

I'm new at this as well, anyone mind sending me some examples also? speedracer170 at aol.com

Thanks,