1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rain affect engine performance?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Steeltoe, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Why would my k6 750 get all lopey when it's ridden in the rain? Discontent? I've not found water in the airbox so what gives? Idle goes down and off throttle response gets a bit sluggish. Water vapor dampen the air filter?

2. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

Check all connectors, then separate all connectors and make sure all insulators are in place and dry. Check your fuel management system to see if it's wet.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I've never had rain affect engine performance without something actually wrong with the bike (in my case it was my front spark plug connection getting wet).

4. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:stupid:

And before you start, go by the auto parts store and pick up a tube of dieelectric grease (purposely made for electrical connections). Then, as you pull each connection apart, squirt a little of this stuff in the connector and then put it back together. Dont forget the big connectors for the ECU and PC if you have one.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

+1 on the dielectric grease. Works good in spark plug boots too.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Will do! Funny I remember starting to do that and don't recall getting around to it lol! Thanks guys.

7. Kam

Kam Well-Known Member

my sv looses its spark on the front cylinder in heavy rain...

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Make sure your drain hole is free and clear. And then make sure you have the flap that is on the radiator. Finally make sure you dielectric grease on the spark plug boot where it connects to the spark plug wire AND the spark plug.

You shouldn't loose anything even in flood conditions. I know...I've been out there in my SV in those conditions for a 6 hour endurance race. No misses.

9. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

Gotta be electrical ......