1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"she's old, slow and heavy but i still love her"...or...

Discussion in 'General' started by james walker, Oct 4, 2012.

1. pdxr6

pdxr6 Well-Known Member

Did you have to change the jetting after switching to the Pods and changing exhaust?

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Very nice job ! :up: :clap:

3. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

'still running the stock jetting for now. i may need to tinker with the jetting a little but otherwise she's runs pretty decent. i thought i was starving her for fuel but it turned out to be the way i had the fuel line and inline filters run. obviously the fuel is gravity fed from the tank/petcock (which was a little cruddy and didn't have the screen filter inside) but once i got it routed properly i haven't had an issue since.' seems the way i had it ran across the frame to the other carb was slightly uphill.

the stacks are no longer on it BTW, those are off my CB350 racebike. i bought some cheapy EMGO pods that don't flow as well but it still runs good.

4. pdxr6

pdxr6 Well-Known Member

That is good to hear. I am starting a 'bratstyle' build on my 74 cb450 this winter and was dreading having do jetting issues. I plan on doing some EMGO's and 12" mufflers.

Did you paint or powdercoat the rims?

5. james walker

powdercoat. i got rid of the 19" front and put the 1.85x18 rear on the front and got a 2.15x18 off a CB750 for the rear. now they're the same size rims as my race bike and i can run my race takeoffs. i was gonna put Sun or Excel rims on it but there was just no way i could justify to the war department spending $400 on rims for a $400 motorcycle :cool:

if you need parts for your 450 project, and if you haven't run across them yet, check out Dimecitycycles.com. they've got tons of parts and good folks too. :up:

6. Bitchin' ride!
    Man, I'm torn! I got a sweet cherry stock '74 CB550SS that I'm contemplating doing the Cafe' on her, but it's sho'nuff nice to tootle around town upright on it and get all the relatively old fuckers talking 'bout.."Yeh, Had one BITD. That's the bees knees there, sonny.".(back in the day). What made you decide to keep it stock vs Cafe' ?

7. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Tree fiddy catch, final offer.

8. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Sick, I hope my project turns out half as well.

9. james walker

I started to cafe it with the solo seat, clip ons and all but I decided to keep her semi stock so me and the fam can cruise comfortably up the street to Waffle House and such for breakfast on the weekends. neither the wife or my kid like to ride with me on the sportbike. Go figure. :/

Now my kid doesn't want to get off it. :)

10. dexter69

dexter69 Well-Known Member

Winner fo sho!

11. I can see the Awful Waffle with the Fam being a pull to stay stock, fer sure. I comprende'.
    I got aline on a '72 Suzuki 750 DL. May cafe that turd...being a 2-smoke and all. The 550SS stays stock for the same reason you did.

12. Scott47

Scott47 Well-Known Member

great looking bike. Nice work

13. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Cool.

14. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Tuna's an asshole.

Your bike is pretty slick now but everyone still hates you. :)

15. james walker

sounds like Lever hacked your login. :rolleyes:

I'm white, male, been married and divorced a couple times and own nothing but old, loud bikes in a small little neighborhood. I'm used to the hate.

thanks again for the bike, fishboy. see if you can find me an old Suzuki Hustler. they're turds too but it's a 2 smoke turd and the name Hustler just sounds cool. :cool:

16. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

You forgot ugly....and a hippie....but still nice work.

Dont worry, I got your back. :up::rolleyes:

17. james walker

I'm working on fat too. It's a goal

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Got the same barrel grips on my '75 CB400F.....like holding a baseball in each hand while riding. Nice job.

19. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'm glad you realize I was being nice.:D:rock:

20. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Nice job on the restoration / modification.