1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford/Lincoln Techs- Waterpump question

Discussion in 'General' started by pscook, Oct 1, 2012.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

My neighbor has a 1992 Lincoln Town Car with 3.8 V6. Water pump rattles around and temperature climbs fast. How difficult to remove/replace the pump on that engine? I have read that you need to loosen engine mounts and raise the engine for access, but I have also read that that it's a matter of pulling out the old one and dropping in the new.

He just wants to sell it, option one is that I buy it cheap, fix and flip. Option two is sell as is, and I think the price difference might offset the repair to make it profitable. For me, of course.

Level of difficulty from 1-5? I'm a decent mechanic with a bitchin' set of tools.

2. Baird

Baird Well-Known Member

you sure it's a town car I'm only showing a 4.6 in the 92 town car, 92 continental has a 3.8 though and is shows 4 hours for the water pump....no motor mount removal, pretty easy job...

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Probably is a Contintental. It's brown, does that help? :D

Four hours sounds decent, so with my lack of experience as a multiplier I would assume six hours. Plus bandaids. Now it's a matter of pricing out the parts.

4. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

A 92 Continental is just an overgrown Taurus, isn't it?

I remember Taurus water pumps being pretty easy to replace.

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Its not too bad, if I recall there are a few brackets over the top of the waterpump area that need to be moved/removed. Typical of a turd, I mean furd.. Take the coolant overflow tank and washer tank out too, gets you a bit more room. Havnt seen one in quite a while (hope they all died off by now).. Btw- what you expect to make on a 1992? Might one blue book one out the waterpump probably worth more than what the car is.