1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OBDII scanner

Discussion in 'General' started by jimfowler, Sep 14, 2012.

1. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

i'd like to pick up an inexpensive scanner for my truck (03 ford) and had my eye on this guy: http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16364

i'd like to have the model-specific codes built in instead of having to look shit up. check engine light finally came on solid and i'd love to get to the bottom of my weird-ass running problem.

advice?

- jim

2. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

3. aagab

aagab Well-Known Member

4. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I picked up a decent one on Scamazon.com for ~$120. Sure you can get a smart phone one but most people go through smart phones every few years. My ~$120 scanner will last virtually forever... or until I spill beer on it while working on the car :p

5. Baird

Baird Well-Known Member

6. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Scan Gauge II, Kesler told me about it first. I use it on a few different vehicles and it also calculates fuel mileage.

7. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

cheap scanner + google to look up what the codes mean = win

BTW- what kinda wierd runing problem is it having?

8. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Maybe I can guess...kreskin says...coil/s or maf?

9. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

weird running problem: intermittent (i.e. - not cyclical/rhythmic) shuddering between ~2200-3000 rpm. feels like it's missing and i'm 99.9% sure it's electrical (i.e. - not a slipping clutch, etc.). below 2200 no problem, above 3k no problem. problem is worse if truck is full of stuff (like race bike and gear) and generally shows up if i'm climbing a hill. i can be cruising at 70mph and hit a slight incline and the truck will start bucking. if i let off the gas and just kinda maintain my speed or slow slightly it will abate. if i floor it not only does the truck not accelerate but it will continue to buck. dropping to 4th will get the vehicle over 3k and i can accelerate and the problem goes away. i've basically been driving "around the problem" since it's somewhat isolated.

word on the street is that these coil packs are notoriously bad. new plugs and wires (motorcraft) installed to no avail. never done the fuel filter.

110k miles
    2.3L 5 speed manual
    03 ranger

10. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

That'd be a good guess...and with any luck it'll be coil #4 or #8 if it's the 4.6 or 5.4...:(:Poke:

11. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Clean the hotwire in the maf just for fun...and then call an IATF member shop and ask them to check for pattern failures with those symptoms (if he has not already told you what is wrong)..

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I <heart> my Scangauge. On vehicles equipped with the sensor you can program it to show your transmission temp, just the ticket on the Safari van. My suburban is too old, no sensor.

13. andy342

andy342 Well-Known Member