1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15 year old interested in Superbike Racing.

Discussion in 'General' started by VianteSBK, Aug 10, 2012.

1. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

So, find a way and get on the track. And see what happens!

2. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Dayum.....:crackup: :crackup:

3. caferace

caferace No.

Note to VianteSBK. John29 knows from where he speaks. Don't be a smartass. :tut:

Remember that movie you watched the other night, Faster? He's in it.

-jim

4. VianteSBK

VianteSBK Well-Known Member

I'm getting a crf at the end of Sept, and should be at Nelson Ledges in no time! Thanks for the support!

5. VianteSBK

Wow! What part?

Hey Jim, what about Air National Guard while in College to make up for racing expenses? Does it sound plausible to manage schoolwork, race competitively, and do my Military drills/work?

6. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

Word of advice. Your idea is plausible, but consider carefully any choice involving the military to make money for racing expenses. Understand that joining the Air National Guard can often mean commitments that go beyond a weekend a month and two weeks a year. At the very minimum, it's Air Force basic training, then some form of schooling thereafter. Air National Guard is a 6 year commitment minimum, and during those years, you can be deployed for very long periods of time, serving in the same capacity as active duty members. That a lot of commitment for what amounts to some extra change for race fees and race tires.

I served 5 years active Air Force, and 4 years Air National Guard. I enjoyed it immensely, and it helped shape who I am. But my counsel to you would be to refrain from joining the Air National Guard if the plan is driven by earning a little extra for racing.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

+1

Is there anyone that joins the Reserve/Guard these days who doesn't get deployed? I know those units used to be "just in case" the Soviets stormed Virginia Beach or somesuch but these days it seems they have assumed a lot of roles active duty units used to hold.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Good luck kid. And remember, the more you post, the slower you go...:D

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Well that explains a lot, think I'll shut up now. :D

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hey Kurt, it's an unproven idea. I haven't posted much lately and I'm getting slower and slower. Might be some holes in my theory :D
    I don't remember seeing Batey, Jensen, etc posting much or any of the current fast guys posting much.... maybe the new kid will be be wicked fast and keep the beeb entertained...

11. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

We'll be there on the 24,25 & 26.

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Haven't seen you on the track much, that might have something to do with it. :D

Maybe if you are on the beeb instead of the track you get slower?

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Is there anything in WERA's rulebook about kids racing whilst on their ADHD medication? Might have to clear that one past Mongo for this fella.

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I don't think a CRF is large enough to do anything but roll through the paddock and take pictures at Nelson.

If you're going the CRF route, you're looking at racing KART tracks, not road courses with an average speed over 100+ mph.

The CRF is a fine choice for learning, but it's going to have to be through a "mini" racing league.

a 250 is the smallest bike you could really consider at Nelson, or any other full-sized track.

My recent experience is limited to 600's, and a beginner pace will certainly dictate lower speeds, but we're accelerating out of 3rd gear when we exit the carousel, which means we're hitting 100mph EARLY in the back straight...

That's the top-speed for a Ninja 250, which is one of the reasons I think RACING a 250 is often safer than doing a track day on a 250... A CRF would probably be WOT in top gear everywhere at Nelson except T13, and maybe T12...

15. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

Get some gear bring some cash to the next motoseries round at nelson and you can ride my kids 250 .... Can't crash it any worse then he does hence the bring some money

16. earacing

earacing Race Dad

Starting out on Kart tracks is actually a very good idea. Depending on what clubs there are in your area, you can get a lot of experience for not a lot of money or risk. Most of the fast kids coming into the AMA now started on kart tracks. A CRF150 or CR85 in a GP chassis can do both kart tracks, and full-sized tracks with WERA.

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I think Chaotic already took care of it...;)

18. VianteSBK

Sorry I meant Circleville.

19. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

How did you choose this name? VianteSBK

20. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member