1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any jet skiers? Who wants to go to the Bahamas?

Discussion in 'General' started by 675AV8R, Aug 2, 2012.

1. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

2. Kendall

Kendall Well-Known Member

Me and some buddies just finished a trip in a Searay 260 cabin cruiser from Lake Worth (West Palm) to West End and then on to the Abacos this past June.

We had some nasty chop going over but not too bad...coming back was pretty rough 4-5' seas. Personally I would rather be on a Seadoo than some open bow boat but you will get the crap kicked out of you in any seas over 2'. If the wind is in your face in 3-4's you may be idling all the way there and back.

Leave at daybreak for the best seas and don't leave if there is anything over 3' in the forecast....they will be bigger than that in the stream.

The stop in West End was nice for fuel but I imagine you will need to go to Freeport or Lucaya for some fun.

Have you completely ruled out Bimini Sands? There are some condos owners rent out at Bimini Sands that might still be available.

It is an adventure! Good luck!

3. 675AV8R

Sure have, the prices are WAY too high for most of us going and everything else on the island is already booked.

Thanks for the rest of your post, good info and advice.

4. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

I suggest you also bring a brightly colord tarp (just one to share) so if you end up stuck you have shade, and marker for spotters. I still suggest a small bilge pump, even a in-line one with alligator clips you can duct-tape down and connect to the battery. I think the greatest mechinical risk of the trip is a failed output shaft seal. One to share would be good, just for an emergency. Don't forget to bring some flares and lots of water.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  5. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

PM sent

6. 675AV8R

Replied

7. Sea Doo makes a model with some suspension in it. If you can get them, that would be the bees knees for offshore waves. Not perfect, but you wouldn't get BEAT TO DEATH as badly. Also, they have a trim tab which would help the ride - keeps the pitching down and allows one to put the nose (vee) of the hull down in the water to break up the wave. Also, you might ask the renter if he will install some low profile tie down hoops for the bag/cooler/gas cans. I wouldn't trust a bungee cord looped on the outer rail. Also, a hand pump like you have for your VP gas tank /bike would be an easy bilge pump.
    BTW, sounds like a blast and Vaya Con Dios and plueeze post pics and a story or three!

8. 675AV8R

Shit that reminds me, I was going to call him again. I'll ask him what model specifically he has but I'm 99% sure they've got trim and plenty of tie-downs. And there will definitely be photos/video of this little excursion :D

9. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

we attempted it in 09. got about 1000 ft out and gave up. there was no way we were going to do it in the 7-10ft swells off the mainland

10. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've got a radio, and I'm not sure if I'll be coming or not yet. I've got to look at the vaca calendar.

You should bring the following in a ditch bag or waterproof backpack...
    Handheld radio
    First Aid Kit
    Epirb or a PLB (this isn't an option in my book, I'd have this over water)
    Water
    Reflecting mirror
    Rope

The trip isn't a tough one to make, but the weather came up on us quickly last month, and we were in 4-6's with rain and lightning in a hurry. It's easy to say "we'll run from the storm" but the waves pick up, and you can't run very fast on a ski without really beating the hell out of yourself. We ran 40 knots in 4ft seas to get to west end. Stuffed the boat through a few nice waves and soaked the crew, but we were fine.

Good fuel, leave early, check the weather report 5 times, and file a float plan, and you're set.

11. 675AV8R

I think we've got all that covered already. I know my buddy picked up a locator beacon, not sure exactly what it is, though so I'll ask him. He mentioned wanting to get a radio, pretty sure he's already got a GPS. First aid kit should be about all that's left of the major gear to get beforehand.

Weather will definitely be the determining factor here. As long as there isn't anything major that comes up the week before, we'll decide before we pick up the skis if the weather and water conditions will be alright. If not we'll try and postpone a day.

12. 675AV8R

Alright guys, details are getting ironed out now. Changed the departure point to Boca Raton Inlet, it's a little farther south so it will add a few miles over the water, but it's almost right down the road from the rental place and close to the airport everyone is flying into, so we'll be able to get on the water sooner Friday.

Ft. Lauderdale Hotel:
    LaQuinta Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport - http://goo.gl/nQaHE
    Rates are $70/night for 2 doubles or 1 king

Bahamas Hotel:
    Sunrise Resort and Marina - http://goo.gl/a8Fo5
    Rates are $75/night for 2 doubles or 1 king

There's currently 4 of us that are 100% in, 2 more that seem to be about 90%, and 2 more that I'd say are 50/50. I picked the LaQuinta near the FLL airport since that's where everyone seems to be flying in and they have an airport shuttle. Right now there are 3 of y'all that are flying. If you want to get a rental car, that's entirely up to you, but it'll be sitting for 3 days while we're on the skis so that's your call. Your skis will be delivered so that won't be a concern, just need to get to the dock and back. Between me and dickie doo if he goes we will probably have enough room to ride with us. We'll figure that out as we get closer.

*Edit* Now that I think about it, with the dock so close to the shop, you may not even need to get your skis delivered, we could probably just make 2 trips and return the trailers as well. I'll see if that could work out.

Dale I know you said you already made your jet ski booking so you're good. Brandon, if you're in, I'd go ahead and make yours as well so that it's reserved. Fill out the form online but give him a call too and just tell him you're with Tristan and Aaron.

I'd also start getting your gear together in case you need anything. If you have a handheld GPS, first aid kit, anything like that, bring it, we can't have too many. I'm going to order the stuff I need the first of next week and see how many gas cans I have.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  13. dale-505

dale-505 Ride Safe!

Okay...

I called the guy up today. Why did all of you guys get 3-seaters, and I am the only one with a 2-seater? What am I missing?

:confused:

14. gpstar748

Get a 3 seater dude...

I have more time on jet skis than i care to remember and I can promise you that a 2 seater is gonna kick your ass on a long ocean ride, especially if it gets rough

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're longer so more stable and more storage.

16. 675AV8R

Exactly. I almost went with the 2-seater as well, but then I realized he's got the "learner key" in them to detune them. They only have 25 more hp to play with. The 100lb difference in weight though will make a big difference in the chop. I thought about going ahead and getting it anyway and whoever wanted to could switch off and try it out. If you want to stick with it we could still do that.

Also, not sure if he told y'all, but no delivery fee :cool: We're launching from literally right down the road from the shop. Will take about 20-30min longer to get to open water but it's a free ramp and allows overnight parking.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  17. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

......or "Mongo sized"

18. 675AV8R

Also, how do y'all feel about going to the Keys as a contingency plan? If we get down there and the weather to/over the Bahamas turns to shit, I still want to ride. We could trailer down to the Key Biscayne area and ride down towards Key West. Should be smoother water and we'd be able to run faster. Just a thought I had this morning.

19. gpstar748

much prefer to go to Freeport as the Keys is not known for much of a night life but obviously if the weather and seas are less than stellar then we will have to make due with the hand we are dealt

20. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

:confused:

Keys not known for much of a night life?