V6 LW Bike legality question

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Theother46, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Theother46

Theother46 Active Member

I have been running V6 on my Ducati at a few events this year, and after studying the rules again and interpreting the best I can, I am questioning if I should run it. It states Ducati 750ss non FI is legal, but my bike is a 1991 and Ducati didn't actually offer a 750ss in 1990 as far as I know. So I interpreted it as legal since the model is mentioned. Also as far as displacement, I'm not sure what the absolute limit is. Most rules allow for overbore which is essentially what an 800 is. So my bike is 800cc and I enter it as a 750 because it is carbureted, and if entered as a Ducati 800 people would assume it was FI. I am asking this in the interest of fairness to others in the class and the GNF and would bail out from the class if it's a problem, or possibly go back to a 750 actual displacement engine if that is an issue. The 800 is just a much beefier bottom end for reliability and I run 5-7 classes per weekend. Maybe Mongo has some thoughts. I don't want to end up with a public stoning like the AMA guy shoehorning a 750 motor into a 600.

Bob Robbins #46

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

it was great to meet you at mid-ohio bob. it's cool that your bike is legal for so many classes.

sorry about your bad luck on sunday. what were the damages to the bike?

hope to see you at the GNF!

3. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Bob,
    The way I interpret the rule book is as long as your specific model bike is listed as legal, than you are legal. The 750SS model is listed so I think the bike is legal. It's kind of like a 2005 EX500 being legal. However, there is also the emphasis with (any year) noted after the EX500 and others too. So, that makes it a little fuzzy but I think it is still legal in my opinion.

Rulebook listing for V6LW:
    Vintage 6 Lightweight

Pre 1990 Air Cooled multi’s up to 600cc.

Pre 1990 Liquid Cooled multi’s up to 490cc

Pre 1990 Air Cooled twins up to 750cc.

Pre 1990 Air Cooled pushrod twins up to 1000cc.

Pre 1990 Liquid Cooled twins up to 650cc.

Pre 1990 Air Cooled 2-stroke multis up to 750cc.

Pre 1990 Liquid Cooled 2-stroke twins up to 410cc. (250cc GP machines must run HW.)

Pre 1990 Singles unlimited.

Among the eligible V6 Light Weight machines are the following: Ducati 750SS (non-FI models); Harley-Davidson 883cc Sportster (any year); Honda NT650GT (any year), VFR 400, NSR 250, NSR125 (any year); Kawasaki EX 500 (any year); Suzuki GS 500 (any year), RGV 250; Yamaha FZR 400 (any year), FZ 600, RZ 350 (up to 450cc), TZR (in Superstock trim).

Regarding displacement, the rulebook is more clear. Copy and pasted from the rulebook:
    Engine: Aspiration will be natural. Make and model of carburetor is unrestricted provided that the design and operating principle was in use prior to the cutoff date. Internal engine components may be modified, altered or changed as per Chapter 9. Cylinders may be bored to a maximum of .080” singles, .060” twins, and .040” three and more cylinders from the class limit. No turbo charging or supercharging are permitted in any vintage racing machine. Any machine with a dispalcement limit following it in the class rules cannot use these overbores, the listed displacement is absolute. If there is no class limit then stock bore is the limit.

So, I have no idea what 0.060" means to a 750 air cooled twin displacement wise.

And finally from the rulebook for V6LW:

V 6 Light Weight machines may run any hybrid engine/frame combination as long as the engine meets the year cutoff. V 6 Heavy Weight machines must run the stock frame. All V 6 machines must use period front end and wheels. All V 6 machines may use six piston brake calipers and may use modernized bodywork with integral belly pan. No newer machines may be run regardless of similarity to a bike that is age-legal for the class unless specifically listed in the eligible machines list above.

Bottom line, the definitive answer comes from WERA. Your best bet is to write Sean for clarification and keep his response with you at the track. That's what I did before building my hybrid and I keep a copy of his e-mail reply with me at the track.

Also, the time to submit rules changes for 2013 is pretty much upon us. Again, written rules change requests go to Sean. If I were you, it would make sense to request (any year) be added after the 750SS listing just to be 100% sure nobody comes along after the fact and complains (but I still think you are legal).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  4. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Fuel inj. is not legal on the ducks and 60 over does not bring the 750 up to 800 cc............

5. Theother46

Theother46 Active Member

I guess I missed the overbore specs in the rules. At .060" over a 750 would work out to 785cc. Mine is 803 as a stock 800 measures so it's pretty clear it's out of the class even though it is carbuerated and meets the rules otherwise. Apologies to anyone that I may have robbed of a trophy or points. That is why I wanted to be clear on it before continuing. If you see me out there again in V6LW again you can be assured it is a 750 motor. I have one that was retired waiting to do something anyway. I will clarify with WERA that the model is legal with the questionable year thing.

Thanks to you guys for chiming in on it.

Bob

PS- Kevin- The bike will be ready to ride before I am. It had very little damage at all. I should be good to go in a few weeks.

Thanks

6. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

bob.

woah, sorry to hear you got banged up. i didn't mention it because i heard that you were fine but the bike took some knocks.

heal up soon.

7. Scott McKee

Scott McKee FZR crasher

Either way the dang thing is still going to be a pain to beat. :D Heal up Bob, sorry to hear you hit the ground.