1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trailer registration question

Discussion in 'General' started by compmoto, Jul 12, 2012.

1. compmoto

compmoto Team Geno

this is a trailer, not a "motor" vehicle... from Ontario, Canadia ... it has a clear "registration" card, no title, or any other paperwork ... 2009 model 2 axle tow behind , toyhauler trailer, 28' length.
    the question is, can this be registered in the states? What may the process be ? I'm in MD, which prolly means the answer is "go to hell" ... maybe some of you folks up in New England states may have some insight on this subject...
    it's a good price, so I gotta check into it ... hard to pass up a good deal!:)

2. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

Each state is different in regards to trailers. In WI trailers under a certain weight do not need to be registered, above that they do.

Your best bet is to contact your state's DMV and explain the situation see what they have to say. Be sure you record the name, date and time of your call, especially if you move forward with the transaction.

Dawn.

3. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

also, something to maybe look into is registering it in Maine if you can't in MD. I got screwed on a deal with on a trailer, couldn't register it in IL because what I thought was the title, was the certificate of origin (dumb noob mistake). Because I wasn't the first owner, I couldn't register it without the signed over title, the COO didn't mean squat to IL. However, I could register it in Maine without having to be a resident on Maine. Trailers under 3000lbs don't even need a title to be registered, the COO was enough. Just a thought... it got me out of a jam.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup......register it in Maine through the mail. All you need is a bill of sale. I didn't even have a cert of origin so I asked is a picture of the manufacturer sticker on the side of the trailer stating GVWR (that's what he was interested in having on file) would be sufficient and he said yes. Just call the guy and give him the details and he'll tell you everything you need to send to him in the mail. Pay 1 time and you are good for 5 years.....easy peasy.

http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/

BigBird likes this.
  5. benny6d9

benny6d9 Well-Known Member

:stupid: this what I did...cost me $87.00 for 5 years

6. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

trailers have the same ownership card as a motor vehicle here in ontario. that card is the title, ownership proof.

i imported a trailer from the US into ontario, had to follow the exact same steps and fees as a motor vehicle... I'm sure the other way around, it is the same as well.

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

wow, wish I'd known about thisa few years ago, would have saved me a but ton of cash

8. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Wait a sec.....I can register my trailer in Maine if I live in Alabama? :confused:

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep.

Granted, not too sure how Alabama would feel about it but you can do it. Like people setting up corporations in Montana and registering their rv's and trailers there.

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

and ferrari's... lots of High end cars in buckhead sporting FL or MT plates thanks to the birthday tax.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

.....just got my renewal letter in the mail for this, [almost] 5 years really flies by lol. $99 to renew it for another 5 years BTW :beer:

12. joec

joec brace yourself

Just fyi, some states are now looking out for that. I'm pretty sure Delaware for example has made it illegal if you're a resident..little tax evasion issue.

Since on topic, places are busting balls about boats too..I've heard maine is a emeffer when it comes to boat registration..

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

In FL its by weight. Over 2000lbs gets you a State issued title if it has a VIN. Under just gets you a registration/plate that can be transferred like a title.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've never even looked into it for our stuff, we're in GA we pay GA taxes. If I were living in the RV I may look at it differently.

15. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

16. joec

joec brace yourself

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Didn't take it that way at all :D

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

so this is fine in NJ?

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

All good, but I also don't blow through tolls unpaid as well :)

BigBird likes this.
  20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner