Could ex-patriating become more popular....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by XFBO, Jul 9, 2012.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I know several people who have left so far.
    Popular destinations seem to be Costa Rica and the Phillipines.

3. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Would love to move back to Australia. Nothing to do with any politics, just miss it there.

4. Donkey1

Donkey1 Well-Known Member

I saw Trump talking about this a year ago. Why would they stay here? They can still come and go, they can still invest their money or run their business and still pull down a sweet profit and not pay the US millions in taxes to a corrupt government bent on soaking them for everything they can. I dont blame them, why should they have to pay a higher percentage of their income just because they are more successful than most other people. This let me steal your money and redistribute your wealth bullshit by the government is going to come back to bite them in the ass. As the mass exodus continues the govt will be hard pressed not to tap the middle class for more money driving us even further into the hole. Eventually you will see people just saying fuck it, I'll suck on the govt teet and not give half my paycheck to uncle sam. This is an older article but I read the same thing 2 months ago except with larger numbers of rich giving up their citizenship.

http://m.aol.com/dailyfinance/defau...citizenship-for-lower-taxes/&icid=dsk_df_news

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

The thing I find particularly amusing is the two most famous thus far have Democrat backgrounds.

6. Donkey1

Donkey1 Well-Known Member

When it comes to their money they dont give 2 shits about their political party.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I'm just about $200K short of typing this from an undisclosed location in the mountains east of Quito, Ecuador.

Five more years, I am pretty sure I'll be there.

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Come on, the very basis of their philosophy is spending other people's money, not their own.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

As a US Citizen you have to pay taxes on anything over around $86k that you make when you live outside of the US. You can never *not* be a US Citizen.

F'ing sucks!

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Huh?

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

What? You certainly can renounce your citizenship. I don't blame the rich folks for doing whatever they want with their money (short of hiring a hit-man:)). It's THEIR money. I invest with taxes in mind, don't you? Do you have an IRA? Do you claim your mortgage interest on your taxes? If you do then you can't blame someone else for similar actions...just on a larger scale.

I laugh like crazy when I hear the news jokers talk about "hiding" money in the Cayman islands. First, it's not "hidden" very well if the news monkeys know about it. Second, it's not such a great deal...just not as bad as handing over large portions to the IRS. FINALLY, if Cayman island accounts are such a bad thing, it's totally in the governments' power to eliminate the incentive that drives this type of action....Yet they don't do it...wonder why???? Could it be that they want the same "protections" for their own ill gotten gain? As someone else previously stated, Government is all about spending someone else's (ie yours) money

The class warfare BS has to stop.

12. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

And when that's not enough they print some more

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

"My family came here as emigrants. They worked hard and took advantage of the opportunities this wonderful country offers. They built their own companies and stores and buildings and provided for us future generations.

I'm taking all of it and leaving the country because it's so much cheaper than staying here and giving back to the country that made me the wealthy man I am today."

14. In Your Corner

I'm not wealthy. If the country made these people wealthy, then why them and not me?

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They didn't spend as much time on the Beeb.

16. In Your Corner

But I'm working here for the common good, toiling to explain to the masses various arcane concepts and occurrences that affect this great country.
    I'm owed, big time!

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

While this may be true for some of the very wealthy people all of the people that I know that have left have done so because they no longer believe that the US is looking out for the best interests of the tax payers. They do not see much "hope" in the future and any "change" has been in a negative direction. Every one of them would have liked to stay in the US if things were not going the direction they are.
    I dont know about you, but it is really disheartening to me to see my standard of living go down while more and more people are getting a free ride.

18. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

The COUNTRY didn't make them/him rich.

19. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Millions of us agree with you there.

20. earacing

earacing Race Dad

Exactly.

Most of them earned it through hard work and/or risk taking. They were able to do so because this country provided an environment where entrepreneurs were welcomed and allowed to thrive. I know some pretty rich folks who made their money doing things like owning a pawn shop and running an auto repair business. Hardly the silver spoon types.

It is now becoming an environment where successful people are vilified as having made their money on the backs of the poor, when in fact private business is the foundation of a solid economy. These folks have earned their wealth fairly and honestly, and provide the jobs for people like you and me.