Best Rearsets for Race and Track Use?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Matt.S, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Matt.S

Matt.S Active Member

I know there's just a lot to think about :eek:

Does Attack not offer contingency?

Either way, I believe my current crap aftermarkets would bolt up to the Attack mounting plate if I were to need a quick spare and that's a free plus for me. Then again the pegs themselves may also bolt to the Woodcrafts. I guess it's the small cost difference that makes it hard, I blame Riders Discount haha. Do most people purchase Woodcrafts from them directly?

2. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I would like to have a big fat flat peg like a MX style. Would be easier on the boot then the little round end but I have never seen any.

3. Matt.S

Matt.S Active Member

They have BMX style pegs...

Link

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Like I said, you asked, everyone told you Woodcraft but you are leaning towards Attack. If I were you I would buy Attack. If I were me I would buy Woodcraft. Another thing is most vendors at the track carry Woodcraft rear sets and Vortex sprockets. Not many carry Attack. Just another thing to think about.

5. Matt.S

Matt.S Active Member

I certainly have thought about this, trust me I am really just trying to find the best set for me. I have heard more vendors carry Woodcraft but I've only been to Little Tally thusfar and I'm not sure if I even saw any vendors like that there, perhaps I wasn't looking.

6. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Your tire guy probably sells spare Woodcraft pegs. Mine do.

7. madriders86

madriders86 Well-Known Member

im thinking you just want the attacks because of their association with kawasaki :)

I don't give a fuck what kind of metal its made of, they can bend and/or break in a crash. My experience with my woodcrafts was that I was able to bend them back flat (they had bent maybe 60*) and keep using them. Can't speak for the attacks. The metal being stronger may actually be a bad thing. Harder is more brittle.

8. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

If you're so worried about finding spares, just buy some in advance and bring them with you. If a $40 difference in cost is holding you back from getting what you want, you're getting into the wrong sport.

I've run Vortex on all of my bikes with no issues whatsoever. Woodcraft makes great products as well. Just pick one.

9. boloson

boloson Well-Known Member

They're all great rear sets and all do the same so buy the one u like and has spare parts readily available. With that said, I've never seen attack stuff readily available at the track let alone at Internet vendors

10. Thrillersean

Thrillersean Thrillersean

I have gillies and very pleased with them

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Those are some trick ass race bits and very pretty to look at. Wish I could afford them. Haha! :up:

12. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

vortex or woodcraft. you can get spares at the track or from someone in the pits and thats all that matters.

all the other brands I am sure are good, just harder to find parts.

13. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Whats wrong with stock?

They generally fold up.

I've yet to damage my stock rearsets, with 4 crashes on track in the last 3 years.

14. MDGeist

MDGeist Tropical Splash rider.

I have Vortex, and I low-sided in turn three at Barber a month ago. I was done for the day due to injury anyway, but the left side rearset was unusable. I also carry my stock set for spares, but I think i'm going to go back with Woodcraft. The main reason is as other before me have mentioned, they are pretty common, and stand a better chance to get trackside parts.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

$.02,

i've used a good number of various name brands over the years and i have to say my attacks are some of the best, if not the best, rearsets i've ever mounted to my personal machinery. having said that, if they were to suffer crash damage, i'd be sunk.

if you intend to race your bike and want to be practical about it, get the rearsets that can provide immediate logistical support or are otherwise flat-out indestructible. (ymmv)
    to quote a former endurance pal of mine, "freddie, i don't buy the best products for my endurance bikes. i buy the ones that crash the best."

my next set will be woodcraft. that decision is not based on logistical support or indestructibility. rather, it's the overall design - simple, effective...like my fifteen year old attacks.
    also, like my vintage attacks, they don't have any extraneous bs like multiple mounting points for the pegs, etc. i mean, really, do i need a dozen different places to put them things? i can only use one of 'em at a time...and that excess adjustment plate that isn't being used? maybe i should just cut it off and slap those couple o' useless chunks of expensive metal in my pockets...to no end. :rolleyes:

hmmm. perhaps this was more of a rant. :D