Harbor Freight Tire Changer Issue

Discussion in 'General' started by jp636, Apr 25, 2012.

1. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Yes, I know, it's a POS tire changer, but it's what I have and I don't plan on buying another. Now onto the issue:

I've noticed lately that when I'm installing the tire on the rim, that the rim has a tendency to spin. There are three white polymer clamps that hold the rim into place. I've clamped down on the rim as hard as I can, but the rim still spins.

It looks like there are small grooves, from the rim, that have worn down into the polymer clamps. I haven't been able to find replacements for these.

I've actually thought about getting some bed liner (Rhino liner) and paint the end of the clamps. Seems this would keep the rim from spinning.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

2. the muffin man

the muffin man certified hymen inspector

i drilled a hole thru the center pole/pipe, and ran a 1/2 inch bolt thru there, problem solved.

3. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

short tie down strap around a wheel spoke to the upright arm
    (from the bottom side of the wheel)

let the wheel spin until the strap arrests the rotation

the clamps just keep the wheel from falling out

same idea works with no marr too

Phl218 likes this.
  4. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I use the mojo clamps on my HF changer and have the same issue. I use my hip/stomach to hold the tire. You would have to rig up some sort of bar in between the spokes to keep it from spinning.

^The strap is an even cheaper idea!

5. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Trying to picture this in my head.

When you say upright arm, are you talking about that L-shape arm?

I use my stomach too. PITA when you're doing it by your self.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  6. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

yep

7. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Thanks! :up: I'll try that method. I haven't used that arm since I've gotten the tire changer. Never needed to before. I'll give it a shot.

8. some guy #2

Why not just use a ratchet strap around one of the lower arms?

Phl218 likes this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Great Idea!

10. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

That's what I do also, works perfectly.

11. Thors Hammer

Thors Hammer Well-Known Member

I have a little bit of problems with wheel spin in my No Mar with CF wheels, so I use that rubber grippy material you buy for use as tool box drawer liners. I use it on all 3 clamps. Works great. You could try this with your HF changer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  12. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

I also bought the No Mar hitch mount and drilled holes in my HF changer and use it on the hitch mount.

13. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

This.

Also, if you don't have one already - try the NoMar mount-demount bar. The NoMar bar was about a 1000% improvement over the POS that came with the HF changer.

14. HF + no mar bar = decent tire changer. I dipped the rim mounts in plastidip, they grip just fine and don't scar my rims.

15. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Which HF changer are you recommending? I have been holding out/saving for the NoMar, but if the HF is an option........

16. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

I have one and in all honest, not too fond of it. I lined my HF bar with plastic and it seems to work okay.

17. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

I welded a vertical pipe on the tongue of my trailer. The changer slides over the pipe and I put a bolt through a hole drilled in the pipe. It is ready to use at the track very quickly. I put strips of the mentioned toll box liner on the clamps. works fine.

FZ1guy likes this.
  18. some guy #2

I don't think they make it/import it any more. Basically it's just a big clamp for the rim.

I never even considered the HF bar that came with the set up. I just bought the No-Mar bar right away. Honestly the only thing I have trouble with is the rim spinning but beyond that I can change a tire pretty quick.

19. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

No Mar sells some weld on adapters for the HF changer. Not advertised, and I don't have pics handy, sorry. But they work pretty well. I will have to try the strap-trick when I get to the point of having to change a tire again.

20. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

+11teen for the No-Mar bar.