1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

steering dampers

Discussion in 'General' started by kyle carver, Apr 10, 2012.

1. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

I need a new damper and was wondering peoples thoughts on the rotary vs the old piston design. Thanks

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I personally like the rotary, however it does tend to get in the way of the keyhole. easy to rebuild, crash protection (breakaway pins), high/low speed dampening.

3. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Never heard of them.:D

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

in my limited experience, the rotary models are easier to adjust while riding.

...but I generally dislike dampers to begin with. People tend to just ratchet up the damper rather than addressing the underlying suspension issue causing the front-end wiggle. At least I've seen some riders do that.

/rant. Go rotary. I hear Pit-Bull makes good stuff.

5. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

ohlins piston style is very good

6. trancework

trancework It's always now...

7. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

The only one I have ever had is the Ohlins. I don't know how much easier it could be to adjust while riding or not. There's a knob. Personaly I just like the look of the piston style better.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I have had Scotts and GPR for rotaries, and an Ohlins rod style. The GPRs sucked. My Scotts are/were good, but I now prefer the linear style for unless it's on a motard(then it's Scotts). I havent tried a Pitbull, but I would hope/bet they are on level with Scotts.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have no preference. Piston style on my gsxr cant be adjusted on the fly like my scotts & gpr ones. I dont really pay attention to either once I set them and other than my 27 yr old gpz... never felt the need for one on anything built after 2000. But they are required by the rules.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pit Bull are definitely as good as Scotts, some rider like them better, I don't have enough experience to know one way or another :)

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Well-Known Member

GPR, turned all the way down, for minimum effect.
    I haven't really noticed it much.....it's only there because of the rules.

::cough-cough:: Seeing a trend here. :p

12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Scotts, rotary

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The trend is racers being morons. There is a reason we require them no matter how much you idiots think you know better - the reason is a tank slapper can kill you. Dead. Not going home. No longer existing.

So yeah, make fun of it all you like but explain to your loved ones how you think the rule is stupid so they know it was your own stupidity.

14. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Does a damper set to completely soft even restrict head shake wiggle?

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What is stear?

16. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Rule book talks about it being mounted in a clean workman like manner that doesn't impede steering in either direction.

Doesn't say it has to function.

17. benny6d9

benny6d9 Well-Known Member

doubtful....

18. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

He meant a steer damper. They're only required in Texas.

19. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Now, that there is a slap in the face.:D

20. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yes, significantly. Turning the bars with your arms is MUCH slower, and thus gets resisted with much less force, than headshake movement.