BMX bike size for adult

Discussion in 'General' started by pscook, Sep 16, 2011.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I am looking at getting a BMX bike for myself so that I can tool with my daughter. How should I size up a decent BMX bike for a 5'10" adult, 185 lbs? It's just for the neighborhood and practicing wheelies and other hooliganism that is too loud on my pit bike. What should I look for when determining between a "kids" bike and one suitable for "big kids?" Any specific dimensions I should ask about?

Like this-
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/2602523597.html
    Or-
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/2602115057.html
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/bik/2592462042.html

2. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I'd say you'll be close to a 54mm frame size. I think that's a Medium size frame.

3. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

Find a 24" cruiser, I'm 6'2" and ave no problem riding a 24" but prefer my 26".

4. James Bayles

James Bayles Well-Known Member

24" alloy GT, that could be the sht.

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Hmmm, I"m interested in this too. Same sizing for a 6'1" 240lb man-child?

6. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

20" look for something with a 21" top tube and you should be fine. A couple of the guys I peddle with ride that setup

-or-

24" cruiser for max comfort

Have fun!

7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I've got my eye on a cruser. I jus thave to talk the guy into selling it to me.

8. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

You need one of those bikes with the really big wheel in front and the little one in the back. That would be hilarious. :D

9. cNYnCArvr

cNYnCArvr A little bit of this...

10. leviathan

leviathan Well-Known Member

Yea check out 26" dj/park/street style MTB's. Basically big BMX bikes.

11. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

12. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

24" cruiser. Getting one myself pretty soon. :up:

13. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

14. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

who that be?
    :Poke:

15. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Some random guy at the track. Known for haveing impromtu wrestling matches with fine Italian motorcycles.

16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Anyone on here race BMX? I buddy of mine still does every off season and he's always trying to get me to come out, but I always flake out when it comes time to get a bike and all that shit.

It does seem like it would be good off season cardio, and there is a really nice indoor park about 40 minutes from my house.

Do they have classes for those 24 and 26" bikes?

17. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

I'm 6'2" and I loved my 24" Diamondback. 24" should be easier to race than 26"?

18. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

Me. Started up again this year after a 23 year hiatus. :)

I went to the track to watch one time just for fun and it didn't look to me that the fast guys were going that fast. So I bought a 32 pound steel Eastern with 26" wheels and a suspension fork, showed up the next weekend and entered Cruiser class and won. Repeated this for the next 4 weekends or so then I guess word got out or something and some fast guys started showing up. Fast forward a month and I was sitting on the gate with the top 3 guys in the state, one of 'em with a top ten national ranking. I'd upgraded my bike to a lighter Eastern still with 26" wheels and a suspension fork, but I'd added clipless pedals and a lot of stuff from my XC race bike so it's like 23 pounds. It's been really fun, the cruiser class at my local track is now regularly the fastest class of the day. Faster than the 16-17 Experts (which are usually super fast) and posting the same or slightly faster times than Pro class (which for this track consists of three Vet Pro's and a couple older Experts riding up a class). You can carry RIDICULOUS speed on the big bikes, and you don't feel nearly as bear-on-a-bike-like as on a 20. I still love 20's but after spending 15 years racing mountain bikes the bigger wheels just feel more natural to me. Any of the higher end box-bike 24" cruisers would do fine for you, Redline, Intense, GT... or if you want to be a little weird the 26" wheel bikes are really fun. You give up a lot in terms of speed out of the gate because they don't accelerate as quickly, and the frames flex pretty bad (my right side crank hits the chainstay every rotation out of the gate), but they fly GREAT and you can carry more speed around the turns with the bigger wheels. Just feels less manic. And you can still win on them even at Nationals (or at least I can, haha).

19. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

No, he should go for a HUTCH! :Poke: :D

20. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

And I think I mentioned this before in one of the other BMX threads, but all of us former BMX'ers should get our old bikes together and bring them to the GNF.