1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay.. Rotors made in asia (china)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by racer880, Sep 7, 2011.

1. racer880

racer880 Banned

Has anyone have experience with the floating rotors selling on ebay? They look nice like Galfer or Braking knock offs. They are real inexpensive below $200 a pair ( 150-178 US). Says made in Asia or some say China. Dont know if thats a problem since seems everything else is made there.

2. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Go for it and let us know. As rotors are arguably one of the most important tools we use, I am reluctant to cheap out on them.

3. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

They may be great or they may be cheap self-destructing crap. You just don't know for sure. Since they are selling directly from China you have no legal ramification if they fail and you (and your fellow racers) end up in the hospital, or worse, as a result so there is less incentive for them to make a safe product. The Chinese are very capable of making quality products but in general they are sub-par and quality control in general is not as good as any of the established mrfs. Just look at most of the motorcycles and scooters comming out of China now. Would you trust your life on a racetrack with any of their motorcycles? Not sure if I would trust the validity of Ebay feedback either as most is from people who have just opened the package or have very little time on their new rotors. IMHO.

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

On one hand I don't see many ways they could fail due to poor design or construction, assuming you check them carefully before installing. You can see all of the parts involved and their use is fairly simple; it's not like they're a transmission or something.

On the other hand I can imagine the tolerances not being up to par so that they might not fit very well, or the materials used not be the best ones for the application. Chinese suppliers have unfortunately earned a reputation for cheaping out on stuff like that.

Basically, if you order them and inspect them carefully and they pass, I doubt they'd fail in operation and kill you. There's probably a higher chance that they won't fit correctly or that their float buttons might be jammed or something, however.

5. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I put some on my DRZ400SM. I needed a second set of rotors, and went with the Chinese ebay ones.
    They need some bedding each time I swap wheels, but I attribute that more to the stock rotors being gummed up/grooved by dirt riding.
    Once bedded (couple miles), I can't tell a difference. Braking power is the same, feel is the same.

Granted this isn't my race bike, but it does get ridden at trackdays.

6. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I've read of a couple guys using them on street bikes that had no problems with them...

7. RTD

RTD Well-Known Member

I've bought 4 sets for different bikes from e-bay seller "tobyhuang2006" so far so good on 3 different bike, I had 1 rotor warp after about 800 miles of track use, otherwise they have been just as good as OEM.

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

depending on the bike you have, you can buy new OEM rotors for that price. R6 rotors are about $100 per, no way i would use those other things for the same price..

9. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

Using a set on my street '00 GSXR-750 for over a year without issue. 19x20 Brembo master, ss lines, ATE blue fluid, HH pads. All bedded fine, no squeeks etc. Fire ring is solid like an aftermarket not stamped like stock. I even "homemade" floating rotor buttons out of their semi floaters and I have to say the buttoms are much more sturdy than stock and even Braking. Even when using the rotors with the buttons semi-floating as they came there wasn't much pad drag.

10. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Take it to Homestead and do a track day and get back to us.

11. gillianthree

gillianthree Well-Known Member

FWIW, most car rotors are sourced from China. Do car seats and mini-vans trump race bikes with regards to safety?

With that said, I wouldn't risk it......

12. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I used them on the track without any issues...

Remember with Galfer you are paying premium for the brand name, and Italian pride...

They are copies of Galfer... According to their website they use the same materials, and the same workmanship...

The reason they are cheaper is because they understand they make money in volume, rather than trying to get rich out of each single set sold...

Luis

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  13. jackel151

jackel151 Well-Known Member

According to THEIR website they use the same materials, and workmanship.

I guess in general terms that is correct the rotors are stainless and the carriers are alluminium. But I would bet there is a big differance in the quailty of alloys used.

My life is worth more the buying rotors made out of old scrap stainless sinks and carriers made from any alluminim they can get their hands on.

14. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

No, No... I ment down to the alloys used...

They are laser cut just like Galfer... I would not be surpriced if the use the same or better machinery as in Italy...

Why are the knock offs so cheap...

Galfer's Cost is probably $200.00
    Galfer's Profit is about $200.00
    Parts Unlimited cost probably $400.00
    Parts Unlimited Profit is about $125.00
    Retailer Cost is probably $525.00
    Retailer Sale Priceis about $600.00
    Galfer Sugested Retail Price $650.00

Your Price, $50.00 OFF Retail... ONLY $600.00 + Tax or + Shipping... WHAT A DEAL!!!

Knock Offs cost probably $100.00
    Knock Offs Profit about $50.00
    No Distribuitor price Mark UP...
    No Retail Store price Mark Up...
    Shipping from Factory in Asia $50.00

Your Price $200.00 No Tax... Shipping Included...

:up: Is that about right? Luis

PS: I would question $50.00 a set for composite rotors...:D

15. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

I agree.... I just dont see how a ss rotor cost more than 100 usd unless is something very special...

16. gixxerlvr

gixxerlvr Shoot, Move, Communicate

I bought a pair for my race bike and they worked fine. I am by no means fast, but they seem to work real well. I have never used the top end brand so I don't have anything to compare them too. They are now on my street bike as the other one was stolen.

17. defiant900

defiant900 Well-Known Member

It will only take one failure of those chinese rotors whether because of workmanship, materials, quality control, etc to make it cheaper to have bought 10 sets of the Galfers, if not worse. Also, support those that support the sport. Why send all your money overseas to some huge chinese conglomerate? Support your local shops or atleast American internet box stores. Come on guys, show some pride and patriotism. If you guys wanna save a couple hundred bucks, go buy those $0.99 chinese, no-name helmets on ebay, I hear they are made just the same as HJC, Z1R, Arai, etc.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  18. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Subscribed, thinking about buying a set as well for my spare wheels. For all we know they might be better than galfer, brembo, etc...

19. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Nice concept but it has a bit of a flaw. Most of the stuff you buy "local" is made in China anyway; HJC and Z1R included.

20. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

This.

And this.

:stupid:

If a Chinese manufacturer wants to cater to the racer market, prove the worth of your product by having it distributed legitimately through a vendor in America who will back the product up 100% - quality control and failure issues included.

I once bought a shorty brake lever from a 'reputable' Chinese vendor on E-bay, since my normal brand was on backorder and I was in a pinch with an upcoming race weekend and no lever. The lever I received looked great - right up until I discovered it wasn't machined properly and wouldn't allow the master cylinder plunger to retract fully, causing the front brakes to lock up entirely during a test run.

You folks who think the alloys utilized are the same as those in the name brands backed by U.S. distributors are only kidding yourselves. They may seem satisfactory for street speeds or a slower trackday pace, but I'll be damned if I'd risk my safety and the safety of those around me on rotors that had the potential of performing inconsistenly from one lap to the next or failing altogether.

If the product is so good, why is it sold here only through E-Bay with no U.S. distributor to back it?