1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Irene: Oh shit.....

Discussion in 'General' started by Rain Director, Aug 25, 2011.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

They are shutting down the NYCT system tomorrow at Noon. The last time it was shut down was when it was flooded, and that was for a few hours. It should be interesting, but they are predicting more tropical storm up here, than hurricane.

GL to all and may all the tracks come out unscathed.

2. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

Hopefully it tracks to the east and misses all you people north. www.surfjaxpier.com has pictures up from this afternoon at the beach. Unfortunately, Dr, who surfs, says I can't go in the water due to some leg funk I got in Talley.

3. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

We sat around the pile.
    We sat and laughed.
    We sat and laughed and
    Waved it into the air!
    And we did it just like that.
    When we want something,
    We don't want to pay for it.

We walk right through the door.
    Walk right through the door.
    Hey, all right! If I get by, it's mine,
    Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine...

4. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Might want to reconsider Philly. I'm 20 miles NE of Philly, and it looks like we're gonna get bitch-smacked by Irene about 2 PM Sunday. The stores are already a three-ring circus. Some old A-hole sat down on a huge pile of cartons of gallon jugs of water at BJ's wholesale today, saying that he was taking all of them. I and two other guys just pulled cartons out from under him until the pile fell down and dumped his dumb ass on the floor. The store manager called the cops and the guy took off, got NO water.

Now, I got water.

5. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

Hey, be quick or be thirsty!!

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You are about to have all the water you can drivk falling out of the freakin sky. All you have to be is just a bit clever.

7. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

There's a guy who ripped me off back east years ago. Is it wrong to root for the hurricane to park over his house and churn until his house does the same thing as the house in "Poltergeist"?

8. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

We're in 'get ready to evacuate a truckload of people' mode. I anticipate a 72 hour workday starting tommorrow evening.

9. fallrisk

fallrisk Well-Known Member

im in bayonne nj right across from nyc. There is no gas left in any gas station in town, batteries are sold out everywhere (even in campmor on rt 17 lol) and the cvs by my job in nyc doesnt even have cereal left. I cant even get a damn bottle of water cause they dont have any. Way to stimulate the economy

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

How close are you to the coast? I know they are evac'ing Atlantic City they said on the news.

11. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

All I bought was more beer. I zip tied my chair to the back deck so I can watch, have a couple tie downs for myself. I threw a rock through the roof of the shed hoping the water will kill the 60 wasp nests so I can finally tear it down.

I hope it the thunder rolls through. I can get rid of the six boxes of cracker bombs I have left.

12. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i got...

Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc
    Auchentoshan 18 Year
    Peanut Butter
    3 different kinds of cheese
    Chicken
    Shrimp
    Broccoli
    3 Gallons of water
    Turkey Bacon
    Eggs

really i didn't buy anything today, that's just what I have in my house, but I stopped at Whole Foods to grab dinner this evening, and it wasn't that bad at all... looked like normal traffic, shelves still full... i dunno whatever's whatever. hopefully we get to see something cool. nice to see Jersey idiots losing their minds tho, always comforting. :Pop:

my main frustration is that the mountain bike trails were already wrecked from the crazy storms we had last weekend with the winds and hail. lots of debris and trees down, i can only imagine it being worse come monday... fuckin up my mtb steez.

13. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Finished boarding the windows yesterday afternoon. While I was doing that, the County EMA guy stopped by and handed my the evacuation paper. The Governor announced evacuation orders for anyone within 3/4 mile of any body of water, since a number of upstate areas are saturated from recent rains. We finished packing up what is necessary. The neighbor had his truck and his wife's excursion loaded with stuff. He's not expecting his house to be standing.

We almost did not want to leave. I was thinking "This is the last time I will be sitting in this chair." One last look around and off we go. We are expecting the worst, i.e.: no house when we return. We are hoping for the best: water staying out of the living area.

A few minutes ago, I got very, very cold. I think what "losing the house means" finally hit me. Losing as in washed away and sunk in the bay. Not saying it has happened now, since the worst is yet to come. It certainly is no mansion, not even a McMansion. But it is home. So there, I said it. I'm losing a home. The place we bought and fixed up to give the kids and grand kids a place to visit, relax and have fun. Hardest part might be explaining to the grandchildren that there is no more going to Nana and Pop's house.

I've been on-duty during blizzards, thunderstorms, tropical storms, tornado (only 1, thank you), plane crashes, whatever. Just sitting and waiting for tomorrow sucks. Tomorrow creeps in it's petty place from day to day....

We will ride this out at my daughter's place 30 miles NW of Philly. That's Telford to you, Tom :) Next door to YZRoost.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  14. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Good luck man. Believe me I know the feeling being from New Orleans. Hope everything is in it's place when you get home.

15. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

My mom's house is on the bay coast of NJ near Cape May. I was just there last week and it might be the last time ever. They are expecting it to be under water... But she got out safe and that is what matters! Hoping the best for all in the path.

16. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

I am in Lewes, de. So far its not bad, one tornado warning scare. I live about 4 miles from the beach in a high spot. Im not going anywhere (although i have all necessary stuff packed for evac if needed.

Where are all those people that were asking why HAM radio is still around? :Poke:

17. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

F the idiots who are ignoring the evacuation orders. Keep your hard head down.

Meanwhile, if your family needs anything, they can call me anytime.

18. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Hope you are all doing ok

19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

And it took two pages for somebody to kill that hanging curveball...:crackup:

Good luck to everybody up north.

20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member