1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Adjuster Options

Discussion in 'Tech' started by zstylem86, Aug 20, 2011.

1. zstylem86

zstylem86 Well-Known Member

After many tire/wheel changes, the bolts on the stock chain adjuster/block are starting to strip down. I was looking at aftermarket options that would make life easier, but haven't found anything worth the money. Mind you, this is a track only bike.

Anyone have recommendations? Or just replace the bolts and keep it OEM...

2. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

Titanium bolts and nuts...

They stay in shape a lot longer...

What bike?

:D Luis

3. zstylem86

07 gsxr 600...

thx

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have the Gilles... they are nice but pricey $$$$.

5. zstylem86

does it make chain adjustments any easier?

i heard you need the gilles lock nut to use with the chain adjuster. add in the gp lifts for the stand and that's a set of tires.

i also looked at driven, but they just replace the actual block, no hardware.

and lightech is not much different than gilles, maybe pricier.

6. TurboBlew

piper907 used to make some captive adjuster spacers that were really nice. He used to advertise on weraclassifieds. Try pm'ing him.

7. TurboBlew

no adjustment is pretty simple and precise on the gilles. No need for the lifts.

8. piper907

piper907 Well-Known Member

Still got 'em!!!... 65$ shipped
    http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/gsxr-captive-axle-blocks-8/

These replace the OEM Blocks and I don't think they will solve the OP's problem. I have installed steel inserts in the swingarm in the past when the threads started to get out of shape.

9. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Timeserts or helicoils? I have to replace mine. I did get a new swingarm cheap though.

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

11. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

There's a threaded insert I saw on here a while back that is sort of like a rivet. I forget what they are called but they would be a good replacement I think. They require a special tool to install but I've seen some internet guides where people have used a nut and a bolt to install them.

12. auz_gsxr

auz_gsxr Well-Known Member

They are called nutserts

13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Or nutserts. I wouldn't use those in this situation, I would use timeserts, keenserts, or helicoils.

To the OP, I don't think it's a matter of threads in the swingarm, it's the bolt heads that are getting rounded off, right? If the bolts are getting rounded off during tire swaps, I think you are doing something wrong. You shouldn't have to move those bolts unless you are changing gearing or adjusting the chain. If you are simply swapping tires the chain adjustment should stay static. If you are adjusting the chain often enough to round off those bolts, you need a better chain.

I am a proponent of OEM parts for this application, because the bolts are threaded all of the way to the head, very little shoulder. They are the right length and designed for that application, and they can't be that expensive. I could be wrong, but I hope not.

14. zstylem86

great product. i wish the chain adjustments/axle blocks on the yamaha's were the same for the gsxr's. one piece and adjustments from the back. although it doesn't solve my problem, its on the list.

yes, it's the 10mm and 12mm bolts that are starting to get rounded. i use an open wrench to loosen and adjust the chain. IMO, suzuki could've made this setup a lot easier.