1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken SV forks. How to keep Damper rod from spinning?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by cajun636, Aug 18, 2011.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

So I am putting a SV back to stock and have a set of broken forks. But the problem I am having is the damper rod is spinning and not releasing the bolt. I tried with an impact also with no luck.

Any ideas?

2. LMsports

LMsports Well-Known Member

You may need a faster impact.

3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Well it should also be noted that on one fork the top is snapped off and the other bent badly.

4. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Put the fork in a vice and have someone pull the slider (like they're trying to pull them appart) while you hit it with the impact. Use bursts on the gun, just don't hold the trigger down.

5. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

6. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah that's what I was going to try next.

7. grahamsn

grahamsn Well-Known Member

I've used a wooden broom handle pressed against the top of the damper rod to hold it in place. This may or may not result in shavings of wood inside the fork. Not a big deal to clean out though.

8. fallrisk

fallrisk Well-Known Member

If they are anything like yzf600 damper rod forks there should be a square slot on the damper cylinder inside the fork. To hold it from spinning you slide a 3/4 inch piece of square tubing over the rod and it should sit right in that slot. Hold the tubing with a wrench and remove the bolt.

9. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I use the tapered end of a 3/4" drive breaker bar ( not the socket end but the handle). It fits inside the damper rod nicely. Turn fork upside down with breaker bar end in damper rod, and press down on fork bottom and turn the allen bolt. Works every time. There is no square slot, just a round opening. Any piece of tapered stock that fits inside will hold the damper rod.