1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR Fever at Summit Point

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by jimraynor21, Aug 2, 2011.

1. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

Being a newb I dont have a good perspective on the normal turnout but V6HW was filled with one bike and one bike only, FZRs!

Mike Kelly took the win with his beast FZR1000 followed closely by Quentin Mise on his FZR4/6. What followed was an extremely impressive 3rd place by Shane Hoeckel running in the 1:24s on a basically stock(slicks and suspension) FZR600. Doug #686 on his FZR600 took a hard earned 4th place despite a seemingly minor crash in practice which left his bike in shambles. He was closely followed by Allen #57 running his FZR4/6, running his personal best times at Summit and nipping at Dougs heals the entire time. I rounded out the pack on my 4/6 running my usual slow times, but still with a personal best. It wouldnt be fair if I left out Lance who kindly opted to run V7MW on his ZX6r he endurance raced on Saturday, taking 2nd on the field overall.

After a restart by the A Superbike Expert grid in race 18 who were putting down INSANE times (1:13s), followed by a race finishing red flag caused by a massive oiling down of the front straight, the anxious fatigued V7HW racers finally took the grid after the long delay.

V7HW was filled with the same bikes minus Mikes 1000. Lance opted to run his ZX6r in the heavyweight race with the absence of any *true* V7 bikes as to not completely run away with the race on his infamous ZX7/9, securing 1st. Quentin followed closely behind and took another 2nd, but not without being troubled and almost picked off by again Shane who took another impressive 3rd place. Allen ended up getting the holeshot on Doug, taking a hard earned 4th as I followed closely the both of them for a few laps but was ultimately unable to get close enough to pull the trigger.

Overall it was a great weekend and it was awesome to be able to hang out and race with such amazing people. If you still hold a little place in your heart for the FZR, it was a weekend not to miss. I foresee the grids to continue being riddled with maybe not the most competitve, but one of the coolest bikes Yamaha ever produced.

[​IMG]
    From left to right: Doug Shane Quentin Myself Allen

2. Commander_Chaos

Commander_Chaos Hillbilly Genius

We had a great time, and it was easily the best showing for V6/V7 in the three years I've been doing this. Shane and I are both planning to do Summit in September; I would guess that Quentin will be there (and racing) also.

If you've stayed away because there won't be anyone to race, you might want to reconsider.

3. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

FZR's are fun. I still have one of mine running around my place.

4. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

fixed that for ya

5. stickboy274

Hiding in a closet, like some people I know

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

That was a great site to see. Good time.

7. 98VTRRider

98VTRRider Well-Known Member

It was an awesome time. I couldn't have asked for a better first race weekend to start my racing. I have a lot of plans for the FZR, next time Quintin will have a run for his money.

Unfortunately Quintin will not be at the race next month. I think he won some Bridgestone sales contest and got tickets for the MotoGP race. That just means I'll have to set my target on Lance haha. If I get a perfect start maybe I'll be able to keep him in sight

Shane

8. stickboy274

Sales contest? K

9. Commander_Chaos

It was first prize. All expenses paid to San Marino, a wild card ride in Moto2 and a threesome with a couple of Ducati's grid girls. Nobody told you about it?:Poke:

10. stickboy274

Oh that one. Of course. Thanks for clearing it up for me.:crackup:

11. 771Doug

771Doug V6HW #686

Second place got a set of steak knives.

12. stickboy274

I'm not allowed to have any of those. Court orders.

13. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

14. 98VTRRider

I thought he had said something like that, maybe I'm wrong. also I apparently had more than one thing mixed up, I talked to Quintin yesterday and he said he will be at the Summit Race 9/17-9/18, is everyone else going to be there?

15. theQman23

theQman23 Racer's Choice for TIRES

Hi guys, that FZR bonanza was awesome! But I have just one question. Who's the dork in the middle with buck teeth, man boobs, and a safety helmet induced bald spot........ oh damn, that's me.......................... THAT'S IT, I'M ON A DIET!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  16. theQman23

theQman23 Racer's Choice for TIRES

I am going to the INDY MotoGP deal at the end of August, and will NOT be at the Summit CCS round, (we are sending a truck of course, Pete will be glad to hook you guys up,) but I DO EXPECT to be at the Summit WERA round in Sept., and expect to be racing. So FZR's UNITE!!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  17. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

Looks like there will be a nice grid at the GNF!

18. Commander_Chaos

Yuck

19. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

20. 98VTRRider

Here is a link to the V7HW race from 7/31/11, as viewed from the front of my bike from on board GoPro camera. Five FZR's and one ZX6. Good times, can't wait till next month

WERA Vintage V7 Summit Race