1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thefts at Road Atlanta

Discussion in 'General' started by studio819, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No warning? 75% of the rider at the track if not more Friday knew about the past incidents.

2. punkadilly

punkadilly Well-Known Member

We were given the heads up that he had struck as soon as we got there Friday, but we already knew that Road Atl had history.

3. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

Was anything done to preemptively help? Aside from the riders meeting after it happened? Yes people on the board may know about it, but thats not helping the people that never get on here.

Why not a warning on top of the schedule for the event (since this has happened basically EVERY RA event in the past). How about sign posted at the gate that says "Warning: High crime area. Protect valuables at all costs!" Its like a neighborhood watch sign.. or that security sign on your front lawn. Just enough to make someone think.. hmm.. maybe I shouldnt go in there.

Sometimes simple things like that go along way to protect your customers.

4. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Like the tags on hair driers that tell you not to use it in the tub?

5. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

I spent 3 years guarding and running security for diplomats in Washington DC. I spent hours learning what to look for when someone/thing doesn't fit in.

I'd be 100% focused on who is coming in and out. Scanning faces as they come in and stopping people as they go out. The current guards are dealing with the money and getting people to sign the wavier. It's understandable for them to miss someone leaving or not see the signs when they have more to worry about.

Of course having photos and images of who they think the suspect is will be a huge help. Another thing.... you can't recognize someone without constantly looking at the image and back at a face. Posting the picture up in a security booth that the security guard can't see while out of it handing the pass for the weekend is a flawed attempt from the start. The guards have to have the image out and looking at it as they look at the person entering. I didn't see one guard at the front with an image looking at faces. So I'm guessing they just had it posted in the booth.

As I said I'd be willing to do it for free. Seems like this guy has been going strong for 3 plus years. What is it going to hurt having me out there? No I'm not going to beat the sh*t out of him. If WERA would like to catch him red handed....We will let him enter and go ahead and follow that up with the a call to local law enforcement. Once they arrive we will stage them at the gate exit but leave them hidden till the last moment so the suspect doesn't catch wind of it. It'd be good to meet with the local law enforcement early in the week so we can discuss the plan and know which officers will be on duty.

6. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

Well, yes and no. Customers are stupid.. im sure in your line of work you can attest to that.

But im thinking as a warning to any thief as well. "Hey, there on to me, this isnt going to work this time."

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Now that makes waaayyyy more sense than the other ideas of what you'd do :D

Once we get closer we'll talk more about it.

8. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

I just didn't want to throw all my cards on the table in case the guy is reading the boards. Which I seriously doubt he is since he seems to go to all events in the area.

9. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Well heres a solution to safeguard wallets and other small valuables.
    Walmarts sells small combination safes that you can fit a 15" laptop in for around $90. Those with enclosed trailers could bolt them to the chassis and the ones who use open trailers could bolt one inside their vehicle. I had a small hidden lock box in my truck I kept my wallet in when I was on track.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, got one in the jeep and if nothing else just locking wallets in a glove box or console will help.

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

12. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Heard they also got Kesler's Mojo. Anybody got a time-machine? :D

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

It's that same dude, he's habitual. :D

14. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

I'll pass this on

to my car racing buddies as there is a double regional coming up in a few weeks at Rd A.

Strange thing is I can't for the life of me remember the last time I heard of anything getting taken at a car event?

I am very active in keeping my stuff mine, and the trailer, motorhome doors are locked when I am not there.

I will however be locking up the pitbike at night from now on.

On the stolen Cub, as rare as they are if the thing was in need of anything like a broken or missing body part, or a seat cover, whatever that is SPECIFIC to an EZ90, might be a good idea to call the Honda shops w/i say 100 miles or so of the track and see if they'd call you if someone ordered anything for one...

15. Brutus

Brutus Well-Known Member

Just an idea and may be crazy: give the guard a digital camera and tell the guard to take a photo of most everyone coming in and/or leaving, and license plates of the vehicles. It would be intimidating to say the least. Someone could still hide, but it sounds like these guys often work alone.

16. Brutus

Brutus Well-Known Member

Meant to say people coming into/leaving the paddock area if it's closed off.

17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Based on what I have seen of other stolen toys recovered in this area I would not be hopeful for the little bikes future. :(

18. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

What if we left some "bait wallets" laying around that were booby-trapped or rigged with tracking devices?

19. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Like a dude wearing a batman suit waiting on the roof?

20. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I would think the best time for the thief to grab stuff would be the riders meeting. Everyone is away from there pit and it easy pickings for theives.